What defines "cool coffin"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What defines "cool coffin"?

Labor Day weekend I attended a huge antique sale. Literally the entire town turned into a vintage swap meet for 4 days. Seeing it all was a monumental undertaking. As such, it was easy to miss certain items!

Ran into a longtime friend that collects funeral memorabilia. We immediately asked each other what the other had found. His response?

"Child's toe pinching coffin."

Huh? Did he just use 'child' and 'toe pinching' in same sentence? Yep! It was already in his vehicle miles away. Finally got to see it. Hardwood, 1880s vintage, complete w/ beveled lead glass viewing window and satin interior. What a magnificent score - even needing refinished. Use bier tracks to gauge size as I forgot to measure.

Not much creeps me out... but a child's casket does. Kinda lights a sadness in you just seeing there's a need for them I guess. Amazing these old toe-pincher coffins still turn up. Have a friend in Mansfield who has an adult toe-pincher coffin as his coffee table.

Comment

typically if you refinish an antique, you destroy most of its value.

Comment

I know someone in the Dead Ends (Kevin I believe) has a child's casket. The top is hinged the opposite way. One side is blue the other is pink.
        I love the one pictured above.

Comment

That's pretty cool. I love the shape/style of that kind. Just seeing it as is does not creep me out or make me sad, but I think seeing a dead child in it would be a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
            typically if you refinish an antique, you destroy most of its value.
            That's usually when there still is a finish or patina on it. This looks like the finish has already been removed?

If he does do anything to it: Just don't poly it. It probably would have been a shellack finish if I were to guess.

Comment

What did one casket say to the other...... Was that you coffin?????

Comment

Working...
              X