Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1971 Commercial Chassis Rear Axle, Advice Please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Commercial Chassis Rear Axle, Advice Please!!

Hey guys.

I have a damaged half shaft, and have just been offered the chance to have a breaking 1972 Fleetwood 75 Limo, can anyone tell me if the limo has the Commercial Chassis Rear axle???

Thanks

I thought that the gear ratio on a limo would be higher than a hearse of that vintage, so I called a couple experts with more experience. The first agreed. The second says same axle, same gear ratio, and to grab the '72 axle. Years ago he ran a '70 Fleetwood axle in his '70 Miller Meteor. Wants to say the U bolts didn't line up but other than that they were identical.
    Last edited by 60Crown; 01-16-2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks Atti

I really don't fancy changing the entire axle, all I was hoping for was to change the half shaft and keep the rest of the axle for spares, I know that the half shaft is bigger on the Commercial Chassis and so is the rear wheel bearing to take the extra weight. I wonder if you could find out for definite that this is the same on the Limo.

The Limo is 200 mile away and I want to make sure it's going to be right before I make the journey.

Comment

Cringing at even suggesting this here but your question is better asked on the PCS technical forum. There are @ least a couple members there that can answer this faster.

Comment

Have tried them in the past, but no real joy at that time. I'ts difficult finding any info here in the UK so asking around on sites like this is all I have.

Thanks for your help
          Last edited by nightcrawler; 01-18-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I'll post there shortly inquiring for you.

Comment

Thanks, that would be great!!!

Comment

"The shafts will interchange between 1971 & 1976 all Commercial Chassis cars, including the factory built limousine. *The differentials are the same for the same time period, with the exception that the limited slip differential will only interchange with an other limited slip differential. *Only other exception to this is that the limousine used coil springs in the rear, so if you want to use the complete axle assembly in a coach built commercial chassis car, then you will need to transfer the spring perch assemblies. *Also, one very important thing is that the drive-shaft halves have to be maintained in their original position, since they are "indexed" or "phased" to each half shaft to prevent binding as the drive-shaft moves through its "arc" of travel. *Failure to maintain the correct index will result in premature failure of the drive-shaft universals."

Via Paul Steinberg, who also says that he has the Cadillac part numbers in a reference book if needed.

Comment

Thats great, thanks for finding that out for me, I have picked up the thread you started on the PCS so may ask a couple more q's whilst there.

Thanks again for your Help.

Comment

Working...
                  X