Hearse racing in Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearse racing in Tulsa

This past weekend was our car clubs private afternoon at the dragstrip.
    It was the debut of Debbie's '68 M&M after gettin' it roadworthy again.
    Tech guy says...."I've never tech'd a hearse before!"

Duck Drags 2012 1.1.jpg

Duck Drag 2012 1.2.jpg
    Last edited by Tulsa Guy; 10-26-2012, 04:22 PM.

That's awesome!! I'm in Okc, I would have driven my coach to Tulsa just to hang out and watch!

Comment

So what size motor took the grand prize?

Comment

Originally posted by pyro View Post
        So what size motor took the grand prize?
        The Ford 5.0, which also looked very cool in the burnout box. My '68 died about halfway, it won't crank in neutral so I let it roll 'til it stopped and I could get it into park and start it back up.

I am so not ashamed to admit I have a very loose definition of "roadworthy," once the wheels and tires were on, I was itchin' to drive it at least a little bit even if I had to call for AAA to haul it home. The brakes are still questionable (ie, untouched as of yet) and that whole dying-at-speed thing is a real pain when it happens out on the road -- I was just really lucky it made the trip from the barn to the dragstrip and back without cutting out on me like it did during our one pass.

I was just so freakin' excited about getting to actually drive it down the road, even though it died on me, I had an awesome time.

Comment

I've taken mine to the track quite a few times.

Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Sperry Chick View Post
            I am so not ashamed to admit I have a very loose definition of "roadworthy," once the wheels and tires were on, I was itchin' to drive it at least a little bit even if I had to call for AAA to haul it home. The brakes are still questionable (ie, untouched as of yet) and that whole dying-at-speed thing is a real pain when it happens out on the road
            Can't be too far from roadworthy if it still passed tech.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Hay those wide rims that you are running on your coach look great. I used to run them on my 69.... But here is some friendly advise. If you run them for every day use, THEY WILL EAT UP YOUR WHEEL BEARINGS... The offset is not right for our coaches... Just some friendly advise.. The rear wheel bearings for that car are not cheap.

Comment

That 472 when running right should eat that 5.0 ford crapper.

Comment

Originally posted by mr x View Post
                  The offset is not right for our coaches... Just some friendly advise.. The rear wheel bearings for that car are not cheap.
                  Oh... Hmmm... I wonder how much difference wheel width makes in the offset -- the fronts are seven inches wide, the backs are eight inches wide. That's one of the interesting things I found out when I went looking for wheels that might fit on there, they made a bunch of different widths of what looks like essentially the same wheel. I remember reading up on offsets with the front and rear drive Fords way back when I worked in the salvage biz, but when it comes right down to it, I kinda suck at math. (ha) I'm thinkin' I'll use this post as my excuse to keep an eye out for a set of car wheels to put on there.

When we got the car, it had plain steel wheels on it, but none of 'em were the same and all four scrappy ol' tires were different too. I found those rallies on CraigsList, got 'em for forty bucks with the caps and rings and everything. I sprayed two cans of flat black and we were able to use two of the tires that were on 'em too. When we took the old wheels off, there were spacers (about 3/4-inch thick) on the left side wheels, but not on the right. My Dad was swapping out the back wheels, I was up front -- when we'd both agreed that we didn't see or feel anything rubbing, we left off the spacers since there weren't any on the other side.

I have no idea what all the car has been through since it left the funeral industry, when we hauled it home, it had a piece of low-pile carpet and a sheet of plywood nailed into the back, but thankfully they left the original woodgrain formica floor underneath so I can put rollers back in. Also, it had "Paranormal Investigator" stenciled onto each back door glass with white paint.

Comment

Originally posted by pyro View Post
                    That 472 when running right should eat that 5.0 ford crapper.
                    how many horse you think these motors in old cadillac hearse put out? man they got allot of weight to haul even if they are powerhouses, i would think they'd be slow.

Comment

Haven't looked at the time slip 'till I just pulled it out of the glovebox.
                      The Lincoln wins at 68.01 MPH with a time of 19.81
                      Caddy follows at 35.35 MPH turning in a 46.02
                      Kinda' sad after seeing that Opel GT make a six second pass earlier, but I was still pretty proud it made it to the race track and home, being that six years ago the guy we bought it from, bought it off a trailer in the crusher parking lot!

Comment

Working...
                      X