1956 Oldsmobile ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Oldsmobile ambulance

Located another odd & old procar! This time it's a 1956 Oldsmobile ambulance. One of my friends (& fellow NHAA member) spotted it & we are thinking on trying to buy it if we can get the guy to give us a price. The Olds was last used at a local race track for their emergency squad & was stashed away in a trackside building for over 30 years. It's present owner "rescued" it... so now it's a storage shed sitting in tall grass, tucked away behind a building. What a shame to see it sit & rot. Any ideas on the coach builder? My buddy didn't look for the builder plate & can't see any outside markings, but if no one here recognizes the maker we'll find out in a couple weeks after another visit & making an offer on it. Can't say i've seen one of these anywhere on the internet lately. Keep you all posted on what we find out...
    Attached Files

Im gonna go with a Comet Olds.

Comment

Although Memphian was another that built on the Olds chassis in 1956, they had corner windows:

Another vote with Carey on Comet here. A '57:

There are a few '58s around.

Comment

Damn Wayne! Thats a cool find! I've been searchin' for the old Tulsa Fairgrounds Speedway '65-'66 Pontiac ambulance for awhile but haven't turned up anything.

Comment

Heres the Tulsa car....just recently purchased by a PCS member who's gonna restore it.
          At the Speedway.... http://i44.tinypic.com/118ir8l.jpg
          And a few months ago....http://i41.tinypic.com/2j26s0h.jpg

Comment

Very cool guys, keep the comments coming & thanks for giving me some names as to what we might find as a manufacturer on the build plate! (I have a LOT to learn yet on ambulance builders obviously) By the way, this is a joint-venture between new NHAA member "Banded Spirit" & I on this Olds ambulance. He's a good guy so make him feel welcome please, y'all will like him! Banded Spirit won't be coachless for long now... I turned him onto a sweet coach (not this Oldsmobile) so watch the board for his official announcement... probably this coming Monday? (hint-hint)

Comment

Cary, keep me updated on the Tulsa Pontiac! I haven't seen that car in years, and really hoped that it had been saved. Thanks for the photos.

Comment

55 and 56 Oldsmobiles are sooo cool! Sweet car!

Comment

That thing is freakin cool! Body looks like a bunch of surface but no real horrible shit to it - all the glass is there, the floors don't look see through - has tons of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                    That thing is freakin cool! Body looks like a bunch of surface but no real horrible shit to it - all the glass is there, the floors don't look see through - has tons of potential.
                    You're starting to sound like me scooter, soon it wont matter of the chrome on the bumpers is non existant anymore, the floor looks like it has been hit with a turret mounted machine gun....oh wait, btw done any work on the Buick lately?

Comment

Nah, I need to go snag the plasma from Shadow and get the tips for the welder (I bought some .30 wire and a new tank of gas, but have the wrong tips).

I think I'm just going to roll it out of the garage, and start ripping wires out, put the new floors in, and put in the new wiring harness. Taking Morticia out this weekend really got me in the mood to fix my shit.

BTW - you got any place we could do some painting on a car?

Comment

well, if you are talking prep work we can do all that over at my place. Just lemme know what you're thinking and I'll start getting all the machinery and stuff together. I need to start on my Buick convertible soon, but I have the Impala, so we can do yours first and get it all de rusted, cleaned up, preped and ready for paint. Or at least get it cleaned up enough that you can drive it around awhile and it wont rust back up before you do decide to have it sprayed. I use this really nice industrial metal conditioner and rust inhibitor, it isnt cheap but it will probably not rust again in your lifetime. I need to get some more sand and silica for my media blaster too......guess i should start a shopping list huh.....

Comment

Olds Ambulance

Wayne,
                          Did you guys end up with the '56 Olds Ambulance? I have been looking for one for quite some time. Back in 1956 the Town of Vestal NY purchased a new '56 and I believe it was a National because of the emblems on the front fenders. It was the town's first ambulance that was purchased from money donated to the town by it's citizens through the chamber of commerce. It was in service from '56 through '67. It went out for bid and I tried to get it but was out bid by a guy that sadly made it into a pick-up. My brother is the current chief of the Vestal Emergency Squad that evolved out of the police ambulance service. I would like to recreate the town's first ambulance. Let me know what happens with this one.

Thanks,
                          Jim

Comment

Hey Jim,

Nah, Dwayne and I haven't had the time to see about this one. It's down the street from me and guy is not really motivated to sell but would for the "right" price. Body is in decent shape with front floor rot, curtains are brittle but etched ambulance glass is awesome. Jump seats are there and it is loaded with guys crap in the back. Still sitting in same spot as the pictures show. Last I talked to owner, he wanted several thousand. SO.....

Comment

Working...
                            X