scrap yard trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrap yard trip

Yesterday I made my way to an old scrap metal location. First heard of the place a couple years back from someone who had last been there five years ago.

For almost 50 years this still operating crushing business has been scrapping, mainly on location, traveling in a few state radius. Whenever a interesting vintage car is come across, it is usually dragged back 'home'. Not really a junkyard or operating as such but the owner keeps hours on Saturdays only from 9-3, selling parts/cars dragged back to supplement income.

As of five years ago, there were 6 hearses and ambulances present. One of them? '59 Superior landau endloader, rotted half way up body, landau irons gone, corner & rear loading door windows still good. This one alone was worth taking a trip to see...

After passing a sign on a remote road that read END STATE MAINTENANCE, pavement ceased, gravel began, and the road narrowed to one lane.

Twisting and turning through the mountainous road for a couple miles driving 20mph, without a GPS, I really wondered if it was the right street. No houses. No addresses. Hmm.

The road eventually came to a dead end in this obscure area. At the end was a "T" - to the left, a house, to the right, dirt trail that went through a shallow rocky creek. I opted for water not wanting to get shot if wrong.

Turns out I had the right place. Seeing tanker tractor trailers stacked 3 high like Lincoln Logs after the creek passing gave it away.

Unfortunately there was only 1 hearse remaining. When a carcass is picked clean enough by their definition, it is scrapped. The '59 was gone. Was informed that it was not a Superior but a Eureka however! Made me feel sooo0oOo much better.

'67 Miller Meteor combination they referred to as "the shark" as it "stuck out among the rest of them". Crusty; obviously not worth saving. Didn't even see many parts wanted to help others out. The guy that prices Caddy parts wasn't there so I left offers for removable panels, rear loading door glass, partition glass, and rollers (corroded). Someone was looking for removable panels here recently. Don't recall who.

Front bumper ends were still good too.

Then on the way out, I spotted a recent addition still intact that may have made the day worthwhile...

Definitely field stripping next trip.

them bumper ends look tasty

Comment

Miller Meteor or DeSoto? DeSoto bumpers are one piece!

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
        Miller Meteor or DeSoto? DeSoto bumpers are one piece!
        oh my bad the 67 i just 10 mins ago doing something to my 68 and my see my right side end it going

Comment

Don't forget to get the sail panels. Is there any interior? Have a friend that needs curtain rods for her 68.

Comment

Sail panels are attached to removable side panels. Interior=barf.

Comment

Use the 59 roof on the tree crunched 59

Comment

I didn't know the sail panel were connected to the removable panels. Never been around removable panels. Let me know much, if you can get the curtain rods off.

Comment

67 roller and partiion

I know post is old, but I would be real interested in that rear partition, rollers, etc

Comment

Email me a specific list of what you need. Include what coach you have and your location. I have *dozens* of hearse parts pulled from many many vintage coaches in hand.

Comment

I live in New Hampshire
                      I just bought a 1967 Miller Meteor Cadillac Hearse. It's Black on Black.

The whole interior rear floor - section has been gutted - rollers; partion between the driver's seat; little door-compartment undernear on the left rear door are gone.

I would like to rebuild the whole thing.

I also need a rear bumper.
                      Front windshield
                      Curtains (ratty - looking ones are fine - going for the old, dead & buried look)

Also - fender skirts, rockers, etc w/out rust.

This is all at the moment - just got it home - I'm sure the list will build.

Thanks!

Comment

krt>>>>>>>>>>>check your PMs.

Making a junkyard run again next week.

Comment

Thanks Atti. I will give you a call tomorrow (Monday) to discuss getting a partion, rollers....maybe a whole floor. See what you think.

Comment

Atti, tried calling. I need the glass for the hearse.

Comment

Working...
                            X