Ecto-1: the real deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecto-1: the real deal

Web exclusive right here on the NHAA! First time this Ecto has made a public appearance.

Of course cloners and wannabes will chime in with 'opinions' about what it is/isn't. Here are the cold hard facts:

Multi-millionaire owner collects only AUTHENTICALLY DOCUMENTED movie & TV cars. Nothing but cars with history comprise his collection. No replicas; nothing but "the best". According to him, this was the first Ecto shown on screen after being converted from the black car.

Now I don't give a crap about who owns Sony Ecto-1, Universal Ecto-1, blah blah blah. Again, the above statements are straight from the owner's mouth. Likewise, props are believed by him to have been used in movie.

Details are bitchin' to see in person. For example, logos are hand painted. I've started photo-documenting this limited public engagement.

So, two choices here - both awesome in my book. Either this Ecto-1 is legit or it is a 'fake'. A fake that:

a) was actually completed in a timely fashion and has been owned for years.
    b) isn't half-assed like the multitudes owned by dreamers on Ecto-specific sites.
    c) carried forged documentation.
    d) sold for a metric shit-ton of money.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand because my following images will end up uncredited all over the net, they've been uploaded smaller than normal. Either that or lame obstructive watermarks..... Enjoy.

Last edited by 60Crown; 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Comment

I think I need a cleanup towel...

Shit, i want this warehouse!!!

Comment

It isn't a warehouse Chris - Virginia Museum of Transportation. 6 other TV/movie cars accompanied Ecto. Displays have not been set up yet. They're scheduled to be on loan for one month. That Lynchburg, VA hearse show on July 23 is only 55 miles away and would make a cool combined trip for out of town travelers - but this display hasn't been confirmed through then yet.

You guys want to see the other TV/movie cars? If so, I'll throw up pics of:

Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino (TV)
          General Lee Charger (movie)
          Boss Hogg Caddy (TV)
          Herbie (forgot to check)
          Cobra Mercury (movie)
          Taxi Crown Vic (movie, forgot to photograph)

Comment

Would love to see more!!

Comment

Ooooh the Cobra Merc. I love the Cobra movie. Lot of great scene in that one.
              No but really its at the top of my list as far as movies that are awesome yet terrible at the same time.

Comment

REALLY?

The interior of that car if laughably innacurate.

Seriously watch the movie....the interior is black.

The "black" car first seen on screen was later used to build Ecto-1A for part 2

The "Sony" car is well documented to BE the screen used car...actually cars. The studio kept both cars on the backlot and used 1a as a parts car for 1 when it was restored for the game release...there's even a documentary about the full restoration on the GB Blu-Ray here's a clip...

[YOUTUBE]IEVoPcrxWuA&[/YOUTUBE]

there are also tons of pics of both cars on the back lot and during restoration and after restoration in the reference section of gbfans.com

Ecto-1
                http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/18/

1a
                http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/19/

restoration pics
                http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/30/

finished pics
                http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/31/

That car popped up a while back claiming to be legit. If memory serves it also lists Barris as a builder even though he had nothing to do with Ecto-1 other than building a couple of clones for uber-rich fans.

outside is pretty though.

Comment

Comment

This car, was a Belmont (Chicago suburb) Fire Dept. vehicle once owned by Ed Kenmitz [sic?] and Roger Bay. Columbia studios bought the car from Roger and it became the primered car that is first seen. Afterwards, it was conveted by George Barris for publicity touring to promote the movie. A man by the first name of Bob Lintz of Rocky River, OH was the most recent previous owner. Below is a picture of it from the 1984 PCS International meet (Not sure if there a higher resolution picture available) as it appeared in the movie and the YouTube video from it's attempted eBay sale in summer 2009.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

[youtube]HiAS8uzbs34[/youtube]
                    Last edited by SuperSnake; 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Legit or not, it's way cool. (and so are the others)

Thanks Atti for taking the time, and posting the pics.

Comment

I would punch someones grandma for that Starsky and Hutch car.
                        I have always loved that car.

As for the Ecto, real or fake it's still pretty cool, and very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
                          Web exclusive right here on the NHAA! First time this Ecto has made a public appearance.
                          I will respectfully disagree with this statement. Pictures from Woodward Dream Cruise 2009:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, as soon as I saw the interior of that ECTO it was obvious that it wasn't legit. Outside is definitely fantastic though, but def. not the original screen used car.

Comment

Thanks Todd for the Woodward shots.

Owner stated this is Ecto's first public appearance in his possession - which may be true. The impression given was that it has been in his stable for years; not technically 2.

Turns out I viewed this Ecto in the previous owner's custodianship in either '95 or '96. At the time he lived (or had it stored) in Parma, OH, not Rocky River. Long time ago...

Comment

Working...
                              X