backwoods weekend hearse hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backwoods weekend hearse hunt

Started at a yard I've been to many times. This trip I was told the '66 Miller Meteor wreck is going to be scrapped soon. Grabbed a machete and hedge clippers to hike over and give it a thorough viewing. Already knew a couple items that should be pulled, add the cherry rear bumper to the list:

Then hail hit. Big hail that left welts and lasted for almost 20 minutes. Ducking under a cluster of trees proved worthless.

Hail ceased, rain continued. Wheelbarrow half filled, chest pockets even filled up...surprised my phone still works.

Soaked to the bone, it was an early quitting day. Hit a McD's parking lot for WiFi and proceeded to call every junk/wrecking/scrap/tow yard in the direction I was venturing. If you've watched American Pickers, this is the equivalent of 'freestyling'.

One small tow yard had a '72 or '73. Off I went~

Turned out being a '72 Miller Meteor endloader. Fair amount of rust, intact, good parts unit. Both front and rear compartments were loaded to the ceiling with 'stuff'.

I bought the reverse light lenses and bezels amidst mosquito breeding grounds. Owner said to call a day in advance when I next pass through and he'll have it cleaned out for more parts picking. Rollers, landaus...what else would you guys want?

This guy provided 2 more leads, first was a couple towns away - another '72. Received permission to go view without anyone being home.

GPS doesn't help much on a dirt road with no address. Directions proved accurate. A little designer chicken was guarding the '72 S&S Victoria.

Soon as I stepped out of the car, a 'bear' was making deep guttural noises LOUDLY. I'd never heard these sounds before. Wasn't about to linger.

This coach runs & drives. Last plated in '09.

Roof developed a hole/leak that destroyed front compartment. That's when the owner stopped driving it. Rear compartment however is in great shape.

Uncertain if the owner will part this or sell whole or what.

Needed to find the source of animal sounds. They'd morphed into crazy deep howls that lasted over 30 seconds. Almost a 1/4 mile away on same property....

This Bloodhound was a solid 150 pounds - no joke. (I've had several Mastiffs from 100-225 pounds and can gauge weight fairly accurately.) No idea they reached this size! This big boy's vocal awareness started in his haunches, jettisoning forward, easily sounding twice his size. Impressive. Quite friendly too.

Next lead was a wrecking yard. They only had maybe a dozen vintage units left, with a focus on late model. Everything old had been scrapped within the last 2 years - including a '54 Henney Packard hearse. Received up another lead there though.

Comment

Saw the '70 Miller Meteor through the fence at a scrap metal yard pulling up. Talk about an unfinished project...

Wait, are axles supposed to be there?

Nope!

This rear compartment was crisp as well. Who would have thought 2 royal blue interiors in the same day? Bizarre.

No church truck. I'm not getting close a subfloor compartment again anytime soon so I had an employee look. Heh.

This is another great parts coach. Awaiting owner to get back to me on a few items. If someone needs an interior though... Best piece I saw was the perfect rear bumper, given condition rarity:

Guess sitting high off ground has advantages. Other than a small amount of rust in lower driver's fender, rest of coach was clean.

Fun weekend seeing 'new' coaches.

Comment

I love the 70 Miller Meteor. Same color as my 73, including top.

Comment

Working...
        X