yard Superiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yard Superiors

Drove out of state yesterday to drop a load of repaired vintage neon off to a collector who concentrates on '20s-'50s pieces. Knowing he doesn't throw out invites often, I took the opportunity to view what has been amassed in over 30 years of dedicated pursuing. His vast array of quality pieces numbered over a thousand..! Well worth the trip alone. Even had a funeral director neon piece from the early '30s.

Also combined time in a 'fresh' travel area to view a '60 Superior that I've known about for awhile yet have never seen. Lead came from another who purchased a different '60 Superior. He first saw this '60 14-15 years ago. Then it was a nice restorable unit and he was clear that it is no longer, having sat rusting since. Over the course of several years, the owner never fixed a price, and the person ended up buying another.

Having spoken with said owner before, I called in advance to arrange plans. He wants me to bring a trailer and drag it home. Hasn't given a price range nor ever provided a picture, merely saying it is a "good complete restorable car". He also has a '62 Cadillac hearse and a '66 or '67 Pontiac Consort hearse. Meh. How many people would take a trailer, killing gas mileage for hundreds of miles, on such limited info?

Of course I did bring tools in the oft chance of buying parts. What I didn't think to take was a machete for the thickest bramble and prickers I've come across hunting to date.

The *cough cough* '62 ended up being a '64 Superior Royale limo style combination.

Immediately next to sits the '60. This is the only semi-viewable ground angle after zooming in.

I asked the owner for something to cut brush with and am handed a shovel. WTH. 35 minutes later in 96 degree heat (luckily low humidity) I can see the '60 is not complete as told, nor really restorable for that matter.

Maybe someone can explain the need to pack stainless hubcaps inside old hearses. I've seen MANY like this and never understood placing non-deteriorating parts out of the weather. Not much of a theft deterrent when doors are unlocked, nor are parts cataloged...

'60 is also a combination, not that I can see ANY of the interiors, merely exterior fresh air scoops.

Time to climb. Enough swinging that spade. To my surprise both windshields are good.

Hmm. Now prices are definitely needed. Another set of '63/'64 corner glass isn't bad. One friend needs a '59/'60 set. Someone else needs stainless rocker molding. 2 more '59-'64 Superior rear loading door glass. Another possible donor for the crushed '59. Plus whatever else is usable remaining before scrapping. Trim appears fairly complete. So far, I really only need a set of rocker stainless and windshield for myself.

Trying to receive any prices, parts or cars, was akin to a singed Koala searching for an all night burn center. Simply not happening. After 15 minutes of him being elusive I threw a figure out for both the '60 and '64 whole. He immediately countered 30% higher. It was apparent that he didn't have any price in mind, and would have analytically increased any offer he heard. Lame.

But at least there is a starting point. More progress than the guy who told me about them made in 14+ years. I'll write a detailed pro/con list on paper to assess if any deal is worth pursuing. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Consort is toast. I spent all of 30 seconds snapping a couple pics, noticing the rear Pontiac emblem shape marker lights are cool, and that it has good rear loading door glass.

I'm still looking for Superior Combination rollers.... Need at least three...

Comment

Working...
    X