1969 Superior Cadillac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Superior Cadillac

My 1969 Superior Cadillac. I purchased this car from a local mortuary a few weeks ago for what I suppose was a fair price for the old girl. The previous owner had purchased the car used many years ago, and didn't appear to really know much more than the fact that he was getting cash money for a car that was "in the way". She's not been run since 2001, but was stored in a garage under almost optimum conditions. I installed a few new tune-up parts over the weekend and she fired right up. Now she's waiting for a new set of load bearing tires and we'll see how she operates at highway speed.

Obviously, she has some use on her, but not in a bad starting point for a 42 year old car. I was able to make contact with the owner and fleet manager of the funeral home which originally purchased the car new, and the only information they were able to provide was that during the late 60s and early 70s, their fleet was all navy blue, which would reasonably account for the dark blue/light blue/silver interior.

Now for the oddities and questions: The original owners manual is for a 1968 Cadillac, however the obvious lack of vertical "stacked" headlights disproves that it is a 1968 model. The original GM protect-o-plate and Superior warranty paperwork give the delivery date to the original purchasing funeral home as January 21, 1969. Which means, this car would have been a "new year production" car for the 1969 model, and was actually built by GM's Cadillac division in 1968 and would have been in Superior's possession in late 1968 for the conversion process.

That being stated (and I hope some of you more experienced enthusiasts can confirm or deny this for me) I believe this explains the 3 windows in the rear of the car (which was apparently a style ended in 1968) on a 1969 model coach? ? ?

SDC12729.jpgSDC12727.jpgSDC12733.jpgSDC12728.jpgSDC12732.jpgSDC12734.jpgSDC12730.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUTO; 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM.

Welcome.

It's a great start. Nice.

Comment

My best guess is Cadillac's model year ends before Superior's. Making this coach an overlap.

Comment

It has a flat tire, it's broken. You don't need that kind of hassle, just give it to me.

Ok, had to try. Nice ride.

Comment

Wow. I can't really answer your questions, but I can tell you that you got one heck of a deal. That's a beautiful coach my man. Good luck with her, and welcome to the forum from a fellow 69 owner!

Comment

Different Superiors models answers your corner glass question. Most 'dignified' closed rear quarters were dubbed Sovereign. Corner windows models were Royale. You have a '69 Superior Royale Landaulet endloader.

Great buy at that price - welcome to the forum.
            Last edited by 60Crown; 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
              Different Superiors models answers your corner glass question. Most 'dignified' closed rear quarters were dubbed Sovereign. Corner windows models were Royale. You have a '69 Superior Royale Landaulet endloader.

Great buy at that price - welcome to the forum.
              Thank you so much for filling me in on what model my coach is! I knew I was going to like this group.

Comment

Very nice, welcome. That will clean up quite well. If you look at his pics, you will see Mr. X has the same car. I love the windows that wrap around!

Comment

Working...
                X