a hearse game of inches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a hearse game of inches

Thought football was the only game of inches?

Over a year ago I came across this '65 Superior.

Hood popped up when driving, which created other damage. Owner was so infuriated that he parked it. This was 17-18 years ago. The forest has since grown up around it.

Perpendicular behind it, a '59 Fleetwood.

Owner gave a reasonable price for '59 and immediately a friend wanted it as a parts unit - there are LOTS of goodies left.

The problem became twofold: Sentimental attachment to '65 turned into a yearlong discussion just to receive a price. Then a labor intensive battle removing each. In the end, '65 price came in $500 less than target, and I easily found a NHAA member/home for it without having to mention anything publicly.

So 4 guys, 2 chainsaws, a 4x4, and a rollback went in motion battling ticks, Poison Ivy, and Poison Sumac in 94 degrees with a heat index of 104. We were armed with a ready supply of Deep Woods Off. About 2 hours later after downing several dozen small/medium trees, moving untold tonnage of Farmall, conveyor systems, farming implements, a 24' house I-beam, and a bunch of other nondescript scrap - a nearly 200' path to freedom began to appear.

Success! Sort of. Notice angle of exit compared to Superior position.

Good time to mention that none of us knew a wheel had been stolen off the Superior. No, it didn't have a spare. We improvised.
    Last edited by 60Crown; 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM.

Generator, compressor, 3 remaining tires hold air, jack up and place a '70s GM spare on missing right front. Using Ford Triton's power and maneuverability, we first tried pulling/steering.

We now realize rear wheels have seized from sitting. The game of inches truly begins. Pay attention to sequential changing direction drag marks.

Sledge to rear wheels under load breaks one free. Still dragging back end combined with juxtaposition, slippery traction, and much larger trees in way made us finagle rollback in however. It was obvious Superior wasn't going to make turn; a snatch block worked the rear over.

After bracing the tree to get job done, rollback easily started pulling forward, rear still dragging.

Just a little more...

Almost home free...or are we?

Comment

Not so much. We weren't going to clear passenger side tree. Even cut a smaller one down thinking it may then fit. Nope.

Say! What about that junk van storing newspapers? Yeah. That'll work. Attach a chain to the back that when tensioned from front winch will pull it over.

Rollback operators may not have physics degrees but they're pretty damn smart regardless. Worked flawlessly. 4.5 hours later Superior saw the street (again, first time in about 18 years). I particularly like how heavy she's sitting.

Another couple hours and the '59 Fleetwood will be ready for transport as well.

Superior endloader is rough around edges but overall not that bad all things considered. Windshield cracked. Already sourced another hood. New owner says he can work passenger fender but it needs one, he just doesn't know it yet. Needs a passenger front bumper end. Rear bumper has NO rot, amazingly. Under flaking paint is a pretty solid coach, doors included. We removed loose trim and skirts before starting process. Motor turns by hand and it has a clean title. Not a bad starting point.

Really dig that full length bumper step. No clue why it was even installed on a straight endloader.

Color surprised all of us. We assumed it was black over black for a year before realizing in sunlight that it is black over iridescent blue.

And since you're still reading, another stop was made on the same trip to check on these. Hardcore enthusiasts should get coach builders and models, guessing years will stump most as I intentionally left those parts out. Have a go~

Comment

great car! any snakes run out from under it?

Comment

What a cool car!

Comment

Near: 61-62 S&S
            Far: 61-62 Eureka

Comment

I'd have tried to lasso it with my old sling truck for shits and giggles.

Comment

Fantastic story!

Comment

Damn! That's dedication... and a great find

Comment

Far coach looks just like my '58 Superior...

Comment

WOW

Comment

Working...
                      X