*NEW* 1/18 Ecto-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *NEW* 1/18 Ecto-1

Rumblings began late last year about a rumored highly detailed 1/18 Ecto, to be released by Hot Wheels for adult collectors. Couple months ago, a handful of online toy retailers began taking pre-orders (in the $95-115 range) for delivery estimated/starting December, 2011.

I met up with a friend yesterday who happens to work for a diecast distributor. Jeff recently received confirmation from Mattel, will have them on hand in November, and provided the above picture this morning. I do not know where they will be retailed yet and am fortunate that Jeff hooks me up before product hits store shelves. (Too bad they don't distribute all brand names!)

Ecto-1 will be limited to 10,000 pieces worldwide and I am already down for two. Figured one needs reconstructed/built into a proper '59 Miller Meteor combination as it has never been released in this scale before! Given how Precision Miniatures '59s have skyrocket in value and this limited production run, it isn't a stretch to think these will increase as well.

If this is a must-own model for you, I can tack onto my request with Jeff. No money until they arrive. The other new 1/18 model being released simultaneously with Ecto-1 is the A-Team van.

Jeff provided more details.

Originally these were supposed to retail for $90 before tooling costs increased. (He doesn't know if this is truth or Mattel decided to capitalize on the popularity and recent sales of their other Ecto-1s released.) Suggested retail is now $129.99 and these will ONLY be available at hobby stores. There are a mere 5 distributors in the US receiving these for dispersal to retail outlets. Jeff's distributing company is slated to receive 136 Ecto of which over 100 are already ordered/spoken for. He's checking if their stock can be augmented, as closer to release they will sell out. Jeff anticipates seeing these on eBay before Xmas for close to $200.

Jeff will sell direct to me for $110. I've reserved 4 (so far). I don't mind offering my networking connection as a service to other enthusiasts and not a money making venture knowing how difficult it can be sometimes to locate items wanted. BUT be prepared if you claim one/multiples to pay immediately when the time comes. My bill with Jeff will skyrocket quickly! Knowing that I'll actually have these before hitting both online sites taking pre-orders and exclusive store shelves saves time/money hunting. More of a bonus that they're $20 under retail and no tax (although there will be shipping after I retrieve in person from distributor). The sooner you get a claim in - the better.

Comment

I saw a link to pre order this on a diecast website while I was searching for a 59 Precision Landau. Thought about it the Ecto just doesn't do anything for me. It'd be cool like you saud to pull all the bullshit off and replicate a killer ambulance...

Comment

DO WANT!!! thanks for the info Atti!! i may have to order with you cuz we never get the good diecasts down here in NOLA.

Comment

An amendment and further update~

Turns out supplied pic is of 1/43 scale also coming out (release date not yet announced, $40 suggested retail). The 1/18 I'm told will be more highly detailed.

My order currently stands at 10. One friend alone is taking 5 (4 for Xmas resale) and 2 NHAA members have spoken up.

Comment

Yea I thought the grill looked cheesy...if its more detailed I might just take one....in fact. It is a definate Atti. Save one for meand if you need any further info, feel free to PM me. I will def take one.

Comment

Better late than never. Mattel is finally getting around to fulfilling this distributor's order. Jeff has received confirmation that it has shipped and they are awaiting delivery. If anyone still wants a 1/18, I need to know now. Looks like I'll only have 4-5 available total, so orders received from this point forward is important.

Let's hope price has stayed same.

1/43 through same distributor sold out already.

Comment

Realized that I hadn't put 1/43 pics up yet.

This one is just 'okay' in my book. Sure, detail is good (not great) for 1/43. And it does dwarf other 1/43 scale models at a whopping 5 7/8" long. But it is light. Really light. Like same weight if resin cast. At retail price of $40 or a little higher I imagine buyers will be pleased with them. Wouldn't suggest dropping stupid amount if can't live without one though.

1/18 should be considerably stronger in all aspects from what I've seen so far.

Comment

Working...
                X