Matchbox Metallica 63 Hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchbox Metallica 63 Hearse

Couldn't seem to find the thread for the Matchbox 63 hearse. Here is a version I have not seen yet:

Pictures attached for when the auction is over. Not sure how many were custom made, or by who, but interesting piece.
    Attached Files

Saw that. Definitely a Code 3 piece (custom not from MB nor distributed by MB). No idea if it was made for an event or one off. Thanks for posting Todd.

Comment

Is it legit or a fan made piece?

Comment

I'd never seen it before today, but today there are two of them on ebay from different sellers. Then again, I don't keep up with this stuff like some of you do. I didn't know if it was something new just hitting the secondary market now, or if I just hadn't seen it before.

I could've sworn there was a thread for the MB hearse and all it's iterations, but I can't find it? Maybe I'm thinking of the PCS thread?

Here's the other auction:

Comment

LMS, I'll take a stab at explaining differences between Code 1, Code 2, and Code 3.

Code 1 is a directly manufactured piece, like Hot Wheels.

Code 2 is a piece modified by an outside source based on components provided by manufacturer, then endorsed and made available directly by manufacturer, usually w/o publicly acknowledging outsource. These are common for limited edition high end Hot Wheels convention cars or special promotions involving a large business, for example. Liberty Promotions is the largest and most well known of this type.

Code 3 only difference from Code 2 is not "officially" endorsed by manufacturer. There are dozens - if not hundreds - of 'aftermarket' customizers out there. As an example, Pope Designs is one of my absolute favorites. Code 3 values vary the greatest! They can be worth nothing or ridiculous money - all depending on popularity of casting, design, craft, number produced, and who made it. Code 3 cars are typical at general diecast conventions, toy shows, etc. that are not manufacturer-specific.

So the Metallica Matchbox is definitely Code 3. It may be from a customizer who made a small run to sell himself, or perhaps commissioned for an event. There wasn't much work done- other than adding a roof tampo and some clear coat. Rest is in packaging.

The answer lies in the second auction link provided. Copy/paste:

This is a GENUINE MATCHBOX CAR, but this is not an official matchbox release. There is no intention to imply that there is any connection between Mattel, Matchbox, and Metallica.

With that sort of disclaimer and having multiples available, good chance that's the person who made them.

Comment

Good eye on the second auction, didn't catch that there were multiples available.

I assume you caught this too:

It appears it is someone who has a nice printer and has discovered a stash of small plastic coffins, although they also apparently managed to scrape together 500 of the Hotwheels Ecto. Doesn't look like anything was done to it, in this case. Then again, if you're less scrupulous, just make up a few customs and number them at random, making sure you don't go over 500 or use the same number twice. I bet this guy is making a killing on people that have to have every version of something.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by R U INJRD; 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I've seen the metallica one on ebay for awhile, just didn't think much of it, especially since I don't like the new metallica. But the ghost busters 3 is really cool

Comment

Working...
              X