Road worthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road worthy

I hope to have the final pieces to getting my coach legally on the road. Manifold goes on today and windshield & inspection sticker tomorrow.

I bought some new tires last weekend, but wonder if maybe I should have bought something else. The newest tire was 13 years old and one actually blew out sitting in the driveway so I desperately needed something. What I bought was all they had in stock.

Should I be running a tire with a heavy duty sidewall with a higher weight rating?

Any light truck LT235/75R15 should suffice, but if you have the extra cash, I'd go for the extra load tires. I'm running P255/70R15's on my 61, and it weighs in at 6900 lbs according to the CAT scales when I registered it here in Texas.

Congrats on getting it roadworthy! Think the maiden long voyage will be here for the TFW H&SRS?

Comment

Originally posted by Boogeyman Con Carne View Post
      Any light truck LT235/75R15 should suffice, but if you have the extra cash, I'd go for the extra load tires. I'm running P255/70R15's on my 61, and it weighs in at 6900 lbs according to the CAT scales when I registered it here in Texas.

Congrats on getting it roadworthy! Think the maiden long voyage will be here for the TFW H&SRS?

I was going to buy the 235's but all they had was 205's.
      Having issues with the exhaust manifold (all but three bolts broke either at the head or in the block itself) so having to reschedule the windshield install hopefully later this week.

As far as TFW goes that's still up in the air. Not sure I'm brave/comfortable enough with the car for a one way 100+ mile trip, but not completely given up.

Comment

Well it took 2 weeks longer than it should have but I finally did it!!! Legal and road worthy. I drove it today 60 miles round trip to get my new windshield installed.

I know it's a caddy but I am surprised how well it goes down the road.

Has some shifting issues but I'm pretty sure its just the modulator. I'm so excited. Now to start working on the little things that need attention and cosmetics.

Maybe I'll be able to actually get to start doing some things with you guys.

Comment

driver

Yes, finally driving it should give You a little more incetive to work on it, I know it does Me. Congrads

Comment

Awesome man!

How expensive was the windshield?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
              Awesome man!

How expensive was the windshield?
              Windshield, shipping and install was a few dollars short of $800

Year of work:
              Coach $1100
              Carb $150
              Manifold $150 +Install $240 (5 of the 8 bolts broke off) $390
              Fixing charging system, headlights, and solenoid. $293
              Windshield $800
              New Tires $300

So I've got roughly a little of $3000 in a street legal running '69 M & M.

Comment

If that's all you have, your just getting started. Old cars are expensive and hearse are more expensive and harder to find parts for. Glad to hear you are able to drive it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                  If that's all you have, your just getting started. Old cars are expensive and hearse are more expensive and harder to find parts for. Glad to hear you are able to drive it now.
                  Trust me I know. I took a '71 International Scout that had been sitting out on a deer leese for 5 years and brought it back to a daily driver status.

So far it doesn't appear that I'm in need of any hearse specific parts, but I realize the more I drive it and the further I get into it the more I'll find.

I call it project creep. Like you when you want/need to fix something, but while you're doing that you might as well fix this other issue or should go ahead and update something else, or to do what you want you're going to have to fix/replace another item etc...

The body's straight with minimal rust. This won't be a full restore or an attempt to make it a daily driver, but a fun project that I can enjoy playing with.

Some may think this is horrible or the wrong reason to purchase a coach, but my main reason for the purchase was for a promotional vehicle for my haunt, not to mention I've always wanted one.

Comment

Working...
                  X