Stopping traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping traffic

So I'm driving today, going up a big hill right before a construction zone, and I get stopped at the light.  Light turns green, and my hearse decides to die.  Start it again.  Get the engine revved up, and it decided to die again.  Repeat about 20 times.  Tow truck gets called (took four tries to find a company that will tow hearses.)  Endure about 20 minutes of people pulling around me yelling insults, catcalls.  Cop pulls behind me to direct traffic.  At this point I'm imagining the traffic reports on the radio.  (Oh, I bet they loved the 21' vehicle blocking traffic a few yards before everybody's supposed to merge into one lane.)  Cop starts talking to me.  Cop starts making fun of my car.  Tow truck arrives.   The hearse gets loaded up onto the truck, and a Colorado Springs utilities truck HITS THE FUCKING TOW TRUCK and drives off, pretending nothing happened.  Cop wasn't looking, does nothing.  I get the hearse home, and it decides that it wants to drive just fine.  So do I now just avoid any hills I may have to stop on? What the hell was that all about?  It seriously felt like it just didn't have enough torque to get going, and would decide it was struggling too hard, and die.

I had that happen to me once in a 68 pickup. It turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

I'm no expert, but that's my two cents worth.

RevJack

Comment

Let it run awhile in the driveway - get it good and hot.
      Then take it for a spin up some hills - you can simulate a hill by keeping one foot on the brake a bit and give it some gas with the other.
      Does it stall or sputter?
      Could be vapor lock or like rev says it could be the fuel filter.

Did you have enough gas? On my 71 the fuel line is in front of the gas tank so if Im on a hill with low gas it may start suckin air.

Just a few thoughts - let me know how the test goes.
      its odd that is just died with no prior warning (noises, bad performance, etc)
      I know that that motor is strong - so its gotta be something external.

Let me know.
      TS

Comment

[b]This happened to me several times in different vehicles, each time something different:

I had a crushed fuel line
        Bad floats in the carb
        Clogged or colapsed filter
        Bad timing with vacuum leaks

Once I had low power in general, I had water in the fuel.

If it ain't one thing, it's another

Comment

I'll mess with it more tomorrow - and take it somewhere I won't cause a huge ass traffic jam.

Comment

Working...
          X