Gas Tank Filler neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Filler neck?

Hey......I got a stupid question............

Can anyone tell me why the Gas tank filler neck is positioned behind/inside the left rear tail light housing?

How did Cadillac intend for owner's to access it?

Are we supposed to have complete set of power tools/screw drivers handy whenever we pull into a gas station?

I own a 56' Hearse, and there doesn't seem to be any kind of mechanism to within the rear tail light housing designed to assist in accessing the filler neck.

How is this done?

-------kitkong

The tailight should lift up to give you access, like this...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalCombustion View Post
      The tailight should lift up to give you access, like this...

Wow!! I would have never thought to do that!

That's one way to keep would be thieves from siphoning out your gas.

Comment

Hey Thanx!!!

I appreciate the help!!

It took me a bit, but I got it figured out.........I guess it must have been a bit stuck, having not been used in so many years.

-----kitkong

Comment

Originally posted by kitkong View Post
          Hey Thanx!!!

I appreciate the help!!

It took me a bit, but I got it figured out.........I guess it must have been a bit stuck, having not been used in so many years.

-----kitkong
          I had a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder that had a locking door on the gas filler. The previous owner had broke off the release lever inside the car so we had to take it back to the dealership only to have the four "Top" mechanics come out and scratch their heads trying to find the release lever. We ended up Reading the owner manual. It was pretty funny watching the four monkeys throw their wrenches at it...

Comment

Now that's Hilarious!!!

-----kitkong

Comment

Got you beat, we had a mercedes in the body shop. My buddy and his helper couldn't find the gas door release lever so they could prep it for paint. They had been looking for over an hour when I got there. I pulled out the owner's manual, looked it up. The door is hinged about 1/3rd of the way down it. To open it, you push the forward edge to get the back edge to swing out and open. Just push it, that's all it took.

Comment

GM hid a lot of gas caps during the mid to late 50's...

'56 Chev - you twisted a piece of chrome at the top of the tail light housing and the whole tail light dropped down...

'57 Chev - a piece of vertical chrome on the tail fin hinged to the side to reveal the cap...

'58 Chev was hidden behind a hinged panel between the rear bumper and trunk lid...

Just a few of the variations...

P.S. - In my youth, I loved cruising into a gas station and watch the attendant struggle to find the gas cap on my '55 Cad, I'd eventually end there embarassment and tell them to push the little round reflector and the tail light would pop up...

Comment

Working...
                X