No announcement yet.

Big Evil, here is my progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The exhaust will go just under the mid plate, or at least that is the intent. The header flange is low, only a few inches above the bottom of the mid-plate, I may have to reroute the starter cable & tranny lines, but everything else appears to be a good fit.

Comment

Here's the motor, being dyno'd tomorrow.
      Purple, Chrome & Aluminum has never looked so good!
      Attached Files

Comment

WOW,
        That is badass!

Comment

Ok, dyno'd today with 89 octane (mid-grade) gas:

With 15 degrees timing: 573.3 ft lbs torque at 3700 rpm & 444 hp at 4600 rpm

With standard factory 6 degrees timing: 531.4 ft lbs torque & 411 hp.

Wasn't able to afford the stroke like I wanted with the economy so it's displacement is 509 ci & 9 to 1 compression.

I think I will be going through rear tires fast.

Attached Files

Comment

What type/size carb you running? I have the 650 Edlebrock. Seems to work fine.

Comment

I'm using the Edelbrock 750, the old engine had a Quadrajunk 750, so I kept the fuel flow the same.

Comment

Here is the beast in the car. Took 5 hours to get it in. Problems with mid-plate allignment, one motor mount & the fact that the headers don't fit, they are off by about a 1/4".
                Mid-plate: Had that problem you mentioned about having the hole just a little off. What a pain that was, 2 holes where off by about a threads width, maybe a smidge more.
                for the headers: If the oil pan cross member was a little bit more forward or the header pipe had a steeper bend on the front 2 cylinders, they would fit fine.

The choke horn is about a 1/4" below the inside of the hood, so a cutting I will go once I put the hood on.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here are the custom rockers. Solid bar, not the split ones Caddy had & billet aluminum & roller... and damn expensive.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got the engine in as seen in the first picture.

Then after the starting it, it burst into flame, the engine compartment caught fire when the engine backfired, mostly surface damage from the fire, paint & wires.
                    Attached Files

Comment

It caught on fire!?! Man you have had some bad luck with this car. First the shop loses your crank. Then it falls off the engine stand, now you go to start it and the engine starts a fire....Is this a sign? I hope you have better luck once the hood is closed on this bad boy! I get lonely at the car shows....

Comment

It works now, spent all morning fixing it & it's alive!!! Runs good, drove it about 10 miles to make sure all the bugs where out.

Here is video of engine starting & the electric fan that spins extremely quick, alot faster than I anticipated.

Video 1

Video 2

Comment

Well, the motor sounds great. I have had a few backfire flames myself. I keep meaning to buy a CO2 or halon (halotex?) fire extinguisher. That ABC shit gets everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                            Well, the motor sounds great. I have had a few backfire flames myself. I keep meaning to buy a CO2 or halon (halotex?) fire extinguisher. That ABC shit gets everywhere!
                            It does, it took over an hour to clean it up.
                            For flames that darkened the ceiling & left a sorch mark in the concrete, I was surprised on how little damage there was to the car. Most of the damage was paint on the underside and one rubber steering bushing.

Comment

I'm just glad everyone is ok.

Be sure to drive it over BEFORE you put the mufflers on! hehe

Comment

Got my car back a short while ago from the shop, was there for 2 weeks. Doing all the the necessary changes to the car to make it driveable without over heating.
                                One thing I did is replace the air dams that got lost over the past year or so. Here is the top of the car before & after the new upper air dams. Made them out of 22 guage aluminum. The lower dam was also replaced with the same material.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X