No announcement yet.

Knock, knock....Knock.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The knock that "comes & goes" i'm 95% sure is the lifters need adjusted. Since you now have a fresh timing chain & gears installed, now your rocker arms need tweaked. They clatter around sometimes because your cam & lifters have some wear & even though you have hydraulic lifters it's time to adjust them now. Take off a valve cover (Shit this is scary i hate telling how to do this 'cause i'm afraid you'll tighten the rocker arms too tight!) & notice each rocker has a nut in the center that's kinda crimped so it won't back out of adjustment. Pull off the coil wire to the distributor (so it don't start) & have someone help you by bumping the engine over in very short spurts until a rocker is at it's fully collapsed position (do ONE at a time!). Use a socket to tighten the nut slowly WHILE wiggling the rocker arm back & forth ONLY until there is VERY little movement. Continue this with all 16 rockers (8 on each side) and I can almost guarantee you the sound will be gone. If it's not, check your oil pressure... the lifters may be going dry at times. I still doubt you have problems in the bottom end of the 472. ALSO see my post WARNING you about messing with the valve stem seals (it doesn't show up on this main screen because it ended up in "more replies below current depth") because it's important to read. Let me know if this fixes your noise... i'm tallying up your bill as we speak! (just kidding)
    Last edited by hotroddwayne; 02-19-2009, 10:05 AM. Reason: Added reminder to read about valve stem seals!

Comment

Ya but those 25 cent valve stem seals SUCK to change with the heads on the engine. You have to fill each cylinder with air, collapse the valve spring, tap the center of the valve & PRAY the cylinder has enough compression to hold the valve up with the air pressure! When the retainer clips come off & the valve FALLS INTO the cylinder you're screwed & have to pull the head to get the valve out of the cylinder. I have all the tools to do it but it's scary AS HELL! If it ain't puffin' alot of smoke when you start it, leave them alone until the heads are off.

Comment

This thread is great!

One thing for a stuck lifter too is to put a little transmission fluid in your oil to help pump up the lifters (not much mind you).

Comment

You have to fill each cylinder with air, collapse the valve spring, tap the center of the valve & PRAY the cylinder has enough compression to hold the valve up with the air pressure!
          Nah, I would just take out the spark plug and feed a few feet of cotton rope in to the cylinder (with plenty still hanginig out obviously). Then gently turn the crank with a breaker bar until the piston snugged up against the mass of rope. Never dropped a valve doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
            The knock that "comes & goes" i'm 95% sure is the lifters need adjusted. Pull off the coil wire to the distributor (so it don't start) & have someone help you by bumping the engine over
            Ok did that although it was VERY hard to adjust while the coil wire was in my hand. Plus the fact that the thing kept shocking me every other second. Wow those things pull you right in way it zaps....

On a serious note. I do have a leak down adapter to hook up the the compressor and used it to hold the engine in place as I tighten the balancer mount on. I have drivin it about 40 miles no and the knock has all but gone. I think when I get the urge to change the valve covers to a more fancy design I will also adjust the rockers. I too have used a rope type trick. Getting it in the cylinder is the hard parts. I used a air chuck and blew it in. Evil right...make sure you leave some string out as it is a pain to remove if you don,t. Let's just say thank god for pipe cleaners. I had to go fishing once with one. It's the same procedure as a Chevy and I have plenty of time on those. This is the first time I've been able to work on a caddy as my Grandfather wouldn't let me near his when alive.

Just send me the bill....care of Derick of Kaos' Funeral Car..wink wink.

Custom Coffin Works.com
            Last edited by Custom Coffin Works; 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Custom Coffin Works View Post
              The umbrella seals? Those are under the springs correct? It doesn't smoke at all. It does go through a quart a month though. That reminds me of a joke about blowing a seal...well never mind.
              It was just melted ice cream

Comment

Your bill is ready... $$$ NO CHARGE $$$

Great to hear you are back on the road! So how does it run & feel now? Hopefully it has more git-up-'n-go than it used to. I bet it's a huge relief to find it's a "top end" problem & fix it in a couple days. Laying under that coach trying to wrestle the oil pan off would have been much more miserable of a job. Now you can get back to the fun part... DRIVING IT! Congrats, you fixed it yourself!

Comment

Now with 50 miles on the new chain and gears I can say this...She runs like a chimpanzee high on Xanax! Crazy strong, almost pulling the doors off, but yet smooth as silk. Man I love caddys! Thanks all.

Custom Coffin Works.com

Comment

Working...
                  X