1962 cadillac superior windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 cadillac superior windshield

I need a windshield for my 1962 Cadillac superior... or any information on where I can get one! 330-416-3340

'59-'64 CC windshields (and '65 limo only) are the same. New reproductions are available in the $800 range.

Think long and hard about using a new reproduction however for several reasons.

Up until 4-5 years ago, reproductions were US made and fit well. Price was around $1100. Since that time, manufacturing went offshore (assumed China). A new mold has been utilized since. New '59-'64 windshield is 1/2" wider than OEM, lacks the top to bottom glass curve going into the header creating a harsher angle, and is flatter across the top crown side to side than it should be. As such, the profile is borderline horrible.

Used original windshields hovered around $600 when new windshields were $1100, about half. When the price dropped to $800ish, used prices followed suit - initially. Then people started realizing how crappy reproductions are before shooting up. (I know of two new windshields that were broken due to increased width being installed by professional glaziers!) Expect to pay $600+ for a brown tint original and $700+ for a blue tint original currently.

With patience you can turn a good original up. Another slimmer option is finding an unused US made windshield gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere. Last blue tint pair of those that turned up sold quickly for $2400.

I have one spare brown tint original that I'm not really interested in letting go, unless finding a blue tint.
    Last edited by 60Crown; 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

interesting info.

Comment

What about 69 windshields, are new ones being made offshore? or at all?
        I will need one eventually and really don't want to go the lexan route.

Comment

I believe '65-'70 CC windshields are the same David. Usually new reproductions are on eBay although of course not at current moment nor in recent history. I think those are $450-500 range when listed.

Put a call in to confirm this and will relay back once known. Should be able to grab NAGS number as well.

Would you want an original? May know where one is near Wilmington.

Comment

When I was at CW Coach a couple of weeks ago, I asked Carl about a windshield for my '66 superior. He told me he gets all of his windshields from Pilkington Classics in Columbus Oh for around $450 - $500. He said since they started offering them for that price it wasn't worth it for him to fool with trying to store and sell windshields. He also said that he had installed them from this company before without any major difficulties.

Comment

X2...Almost word for word.

Comment

I just want a good windshield for a decent price. When I first bought my 69 it had a small chip in it. I said to myself I should call a repair company and have that fixed. I then proceeded to wait until it spread from small chip to long crack and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.
                If I can get a new one for $450-500 that would be great.

Comment

I got my glass for my 63 CC from Pilkington. Its the cheap junk Atti discussed.

Comment

Do you have free glass replacement on your insurance? If not, you should, lol. My insurance company paid to replace mine on my '65 with no question. (though it took 10 years to find a brand new good one, and it had to come from Mexico, lol). It cost $1200, and they had no problem at all paying for it.

Comment

The glass place that did my 1960 Superior told me that the windshield cost them 1400. Only took them about a week to find the cc windshield.. Then another 2 weeks measuring my windshield frame over and over, with different representatives. Even after i gave the correct part number to every rep that came to the house.. Insurance paid for it all.. No hassel from them what so ever..

Comment

Glass coverage should be a must, for any CC owner. The price of one windshield replacement cost will set anyone back.

Comment

I got my repro from mexico. 1/2 inch too wide...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Feelgood View Post
                            I got my repro from mexico. 1/2 inch too wide...
                            Interesting, mine fit perfect.

Comment

Different windshields Creepy. '59-'64 verses '65-'70.

Comment

Working...
                              X