Radiator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator question

Hello. Newbie here. My question concerns my 1991 Cadillac Federal coach with the 5.7L chevrolet engine. I discovered a small (1/2" long) crack in the top of the radiator close to the neck of the filler. Obviously this prevents the radiator from holding pressure. I'm wondering if there's a fix for this that I can do at home. It's a brass and copper radiator. I didn't know if the JB Weld products or something similar might work and hold the pressure. Or if I'll have to pay $$$$$ for a shop to either fix or replace. Any ideas?

thanks in advance,
    Mike

Fix it right. Have a shop look at it. Or just replace the whole thing.. JB weld or epoxies are quick fixes and might buy you some time but it is only postponing the inevitable and adding expense to the whole process...Just when you need it the most is when a quick fix will fail...Since the radiator industry has whored out their products to parts houses and all instead of just Radiator Shops the prices are substantially lower than in the past. You might be surprised at the cost of a new one...check out the possibilities and do the math...

Comment

I agree. Pull the radiator out and take it to a radiator shop. They will let you know what your options are.

-d

Comment

Yep, don't use any temp fix type stuff, it's not worth gambling your whole motor on. I'd just replace it. Like it was mentioned earlier by Highbars, they are so cheap now a days.

If you do want to fix it your self though, just solder it up (just like a shop will do). It's not that hard at all. I've done lots of them.

BTW, Welcome to the site.

Comment

Just put a new one in the '88 Lincoln last weekend. Bought it through a body shop.....$128 The new hoses were another $50!

Comment

Thanks for the input and the welcome. It's appreciated.
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X