Non identical 1972 engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non identical 1972 engines

My 72 472 has a smog pump and no EGR valve. The spare motor, same year car has no pump with a idler puller and an EGR valve. Works for Me because I wanted to do away with the pump and keep the same pulleys. Also this 1 has a tube to shoot the timing light thru. Both blocks have the same casting number. Just thought this was weird. Maybe a different year motor installed?

One was probably 50 state smog legal, and the other was probably not, originally. (California model maybe)

Comment

Turns out the spare engine is not origional, it's a 74-76, cubic in. to be determined later.

Comment

Cool, it's a 500. Now do I keep it at 8.25 or use the old heads and bump it up to 10.1. With todays shitty gas, might be better to leave it alone. Don't think I'll notice the 20 HP, but probably the pinging.

Comment

all hail the caddy 500. One day I'm gonna get one. Tuff call Ray. Would be nice to have a little more power in stock looking form. You do drive the mess out of your car so it also would be nice to not have to run higher octane.

Comment

Does that idler pulley look stock? I'm asking because I've had & seen quite a few big inch Caddy engines & never saw one w/an idler pulley. As I understood it the cars w/no air pump have their own matched crank & water pump pulleys. 425 is an example. Pulled a 68 Eldo 472 recently w/no air pump & no idler. Anyone know more about this?

Comment

This car was bought from a junkyard, and now know not the origional engine. Cad500 list it as a 75-76 500. The idler is 5 1/2 in long with a 3 1/2 in pulley. No markings. It does mount to a pollution pump bracket,at the top which I will trim the rest off. Has a 1/2 in square hole to tighten with a ratchet. They may have rigged this up, I don't know, but it was just what I was looking for. They must have put the 72 water pump, because it uses the double pulley for the power steering, as I think They went to a single type pulley for the HEIs. My HEI works fine with the double pulley, just have to have the motor timed where the belt runs along the flat side of the cap, not by the hold downs.

Comment

Man, You got Me thinking, which is dangerous. I done a search on idler pulleys and came up with 2. Gates 38039, looks exact. Gates 38035 seems the same except the bracket is flipped over. These were for early 70s to late 80s Ford. Now I know where to get new ones and anyone wanting to get rid of the smog pump, this seems to be the way to go for about $25 and its a bolt in deal. Junkyards ought to be full of Fords, lol.

Comment

that's great news, Ray! sorry i've been MIA lately. Scott's been filling me in on stuff. lollz

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hang onto those 425 pulleys like gold. An idler would be a great solution when that air pump comes off. Does sound like a Ford set up. They would put those square holes in for a breaker bar. I still hate the damn things though.

Comment

Working...
                    X