Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Operating a Hearse in LA

Hey guys -

I'm Zack, and I am in Lafayette. I design and sell performance parts for older sports cars with limited aftermarket support, and got to kicking around the idea of purchasing a used hearse to use as a company vehicle (traveling to events to set up vendor booths, etc.).

One of the questions I did have that I couldn't answer one way or another -

Are any additional drivers license endorsements required for a Louisiana resident to operate a hearse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    -Zack

I'm not sure about LA specifically, you can check with your local Secretary of State website.

Here in Michigan you need a class 2 license only if you're transporting people in it. Although that might still apply if you have it insured as a business vehicle.

Comment

Not sure - I don't think so but one of the Nola folks might.

I love the spelling of your name - that made me laugh.

Comment

Haha thanks!

I don't really plan on riding people in it like a limo or anything. Probably just someone riding shotgun. I might be a bit off-base on my figuring here, but I am thinking that for what I'd spend on a nice used truck and trailer, or a van in reliable condition, I could likely source a well kept mid-to-late 90's hearse with relatively low mileage in the 5-6k range (that's what seems to be about right at least)

My business isn't my full time job yet, or else I'd probably go with a new commerical van of some sorts. However, I think people would remember me more at events as the guy who packed his parts and booth out of the back of a hearse, and I am all for justifying a hearse purchase as advertising dollars.

Comment

No one I know has any special license. Voodoo 1 does tours and passenger runs, may be He'll drop in. Be nice to see another coach in La. Check out the NOLA hearse gang on here. The Guy that had My parts car DJ'd out of it.

Comment

I haven't heard of having to have a special license to drive a hearse. Most states make the difference due to the weight of the vechile and purpose. I don't think a hearse will put you into the next weight class when you can rent a 26ft U-Haul truck without a special license.

But the slogan for youe business coud be, "All your performance parts dying off? We can help" or "Performance help for dying breeds."

Comment

A mid 90s coach will basically show a vin of what the car was before the conversion. Typically a caddy is going to be a fleetwood and like our Roadmaster Hearse it shows a wagon. As far as I know no special license is needed here since the cars bascially are sedans or wagons. Insurance,,, well We have collector car insurance and its dirt cheap. The dmv registered our Buick as a wagon and charged me tax based on the wagon value, not a Hearse conversion. I'd also suggest not getting the commercial plate, it would help to insure it cheaper as a non commercial vehicle.

Comment

Cool! I wouldn't want to have to go see about obtaining a CDL or any other such silliness. I don't plan on obtaining commerical tags or anything of that nature. I would probably remove the landau and vinyl roof, paint whats underneath to match, then drape my logo on both sides. Just an idea though, and I doubt I'll be running out to buy one right away. Probably 6-8 months from now.

I know this doesn't apply to the original topic, but do you think my guesstimate of the 5-6k range is reasonable for a black mid 90s model coach?

Thanks for all the input guys!
                -Zack

Comment

yep there are a few out there in that range

The roofs on mid 90s are fiberglass. Depending on the builder most of the entire rear from back door all the way back is a fiberglass shell.

Comment

good luck on your search! you can get a Caddy or Buick hearse in great shape with low miles in that price range you should join us at NOLAhearse too!

once you get it, you can email me pics and i'll add you to the members page. and yeah, no special license required.

Comment

No License required .. but when you get to the NOLA area you're required to stop at Twisted Addictions tattoo shop and get a tattoo from me... Ray of course is exempt!

Comment

Yes, always has to be an oddball in the bunch, lol.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the answers and support. I don't feel (too) crazy after all LOL

Comment

Not sure about your area but don't see why it would be very hard to put on the road as a regular car - my contribution however, is HOW to transport your parts... 1: Get a Hearse that is complete (rollers in back) 2: get some 1/2 inch ply, put some legs at one end and roll it in the back 3: when you get to your display, show, flea market, just roll the table out, flop down the end legs, and you're all set for business. Even if you have more than will fit on the table, you could still spread things out but rolling out the table makes it REAL easy to get the stuff in & out instead of climbing through the car. (friend did this with his tools (construction), worked great.

Comment

Just wanted to add we have a member who runs a reptile zoo. He wrapped his hearse in graphics related to his business and wrote the entire thing off. Just another thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X