• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Plymouth Belvedere

Day one delivery.

Day two.

Found some rust.

removing trim. Bumper bolts are rusted in place and torch out of gas, throw hammer and cuss. If ypu look above the left head light you can see where it was hit. The half moon shaped crease is the paint busted away but it is almost right with no filler.

Bye bye fucking ugly ass red paint.
    Last edited by 60Buick; 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Day three.

Removing more paint, found some rust in the lower quarters going to weld in new pieces tomorrow and repair trunk rail. Valence is trash too, goingto try to make a new one.

Comment

wow.

Comment

That is a surprise.. I don't remember that bottom pieace looking all twistd up like that..

Comment

I love following threads like this. Take the damaged trim to a trim polished, and they should be ablle to repair it. Downside, is that it will look great, and the other trim will need to be polished as well.

Comment

Day four

I finished stripping all the red paint off the car and pulled the bumpers. The rear wheel opening on the pass side is rotten and has to be cut out. The front fenders are rotten behind the wheels as well. I have somebody that is going to weld all that up this week.

straightened the valence enough to save it.

cleaning up the trim and emblems.

going back over the car with 160 finaly done with the 80 grit. Sprayed some etch lock primer on the door since it is so humid.

Comment

Day five.

I cut out all the trunk rot.

I spend 5 hours stripping the paint off the weather stripping. New whitewalls.

Got the drivers side ready for primer.

Started getting the under hood areas ready for paint.

Comment

Day six

It was a short day. Got the other rear jam.

Got the wheels and hood off. Went back over the car with a finer grade of sandpaper on the DA.

Smoothing out the underside of the hood.

Comment

Day seven

Finished the drivers jams.

Getting everything taped up

Comment

Day eight

Mostly fixing dents and getting the body straight.

Poor mans white walls

Lower quarter getting put in

Front fender getting patch panel.

Last edited by 60Buick; 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Look'n good. I did the exact same white walls on my Two Door when I was driving it every day. Nobody paid any attention to the edges and from ten feet I don't think you could tell to be honest.

Comment

Where are you doing this work?

Comment

We are doing all the work at my friends shop in Mcdonough. I am not doing most of the metal work. A good friend of mine Andy is. He is making all the panels and welding them in since none are available for such an oddball car. He is looking for side work and he is one hell of a body man. He has also worked at machine shops doing port work for race teams. The man has serious skills. I'm letting his shoot it as well. He hopes to use this one as an example to get more work. And he is very reasonably priced. I see how little I know when working along somebody that has done this as a proffesion for years. I am roughing everything in and letting him do the final stuff so it is razor straight. I think I am going to have 6 or 7 grand in this fucker but it will be showroom new.

Day nine.

I ground down the lower fender patch. still needs a little more gringing but it won't require any filler.

The front end was caved in when the car was ten or so. A lot of brass in the old body work and they filled a lot of rust with brass and filler. I beat out the front fenders and wiped a thin layer of filler to start getting it right.

This fender is a little thick with filler. It was pretty fucked up. I wish I could have replaced the fender but there is just no time and they are crazy high priced in pristine condition. The right side of the headight where it was hit is round and no filler needed yet. still a little high spot on the side though.

Taped off the firewall. That sucked, but needed to match being a unibody car.

Lower quarter patch is in. He still has to shrink the metal in a few places the quarter was beat in with hammers to fix rust years ago and the metal was very stretched.

Last edited by 60Buick; 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Day ten

Spent hours cleaning red paint off of chrome. People if you ever paint a car, PULL THE SHIT OFF. It fucking sucks removing so much overspray.
                              I am half way there then I can polish it all. I have bought almost all the trim I need. More shit comes in the mail everyday.

Andy working with next to nothing to make a lower wheel well piece. He made it in one piece with little more than a 2x4 and an air hammer. All his metal working stuff is still up north he just moved back down here.

Checking the fit, I left after this. He finished it the next day.

Stripped the 10 pounds of filler out of the passenger door and straightened it. It was hit a long time ago. Just a thin layer of filler now to get rid of the waves.

Comment

Working...
                              X