Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed

So I am messing with the 49 today, all inspired after Asheville and shit, and I can not for the life of me figure out how to remove the window and door handles on the inside of the door. I know it will end up being some simple thing, but it has me boggled at the moment.
    2013aa 006.jpg
    These are the little buggers causing me grief.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi your my only hope.

I think you have to push back the trim ring and there should be a roll pin at the base of the handle to tap out. I want to say that it is a square shaft that is pinned to the handle but I'm not sure. Good to see you fired up on the 49 again.

Comment

I will have to look again tomorrow, see if I see any pins.
      Took some more pics of it today.

The 63 wagon is full of parts from the 49.
      I really need to get my welder fixed so I can do some actual work.

Comment

Nice. I like that carport with the roll up door and storage area, protected and in the shade.

Comment

I don't like my old stuff sitting out in the elements. First step to saving one is getting it covered.
          I would love to drag the cars out of that carport for a few days and concrete the floor in there.

Comment

There's a circlip that needs spread & removed. There are two different types of circlip tools for removal. I have one of them, let me go find it.

Comment

There are two different types of circlip tools for removal.
              Post a pic, I have several clip removal tools and may have it. Still though I didn't see where to use one but will look again tomorrow.

Comment

This is the cheaper version specifically made for older door cranks. It works okay, may need a thin flathead assisting to keep everything lined up both directions. Think it was like $8 @ local auto parts store but I did hit a few before finding one in stock. This flat style with slender profile is able to get into tight spot more efficiently. Definitely better for vintage door cranks. I've used this on several '54 & up Cadillac. Your '49 should prove the same.

Once circlip has been removed there is no guarantee cranks will come off easily. Make sure gentle even prying is applied if they're tight.

Someone already had that crank off to remove door panels. They shouldn't be that bad now.

Comment

Actually the door panels were fucked so I cut them off. I plan to make new ones using the hardware and trim from the old ones.
                  I don't have that tool, but I have something close. If the tool I have doesn't work I will go on the quest for one like that. We have many parts store in our area and I know of a few really old stores with lots of goodies the big names don't have.

Comment

I distinctly recall removing '55 CDV door cranks in a dry NM yard where it was not possible to see the circlips. Had I not removed any previous to that trip, I would've been equally perplexed!

Comment

The tool I have for the task looks like

but I've used the rag method more than a few times to pop the clips free:

The oldest car I've ever driven is a 1955 model year GM, so I cannot say for certain, but I assume the clips are always oriented as pictured below:

Does that jive with other's experience?

Comment

Pretty much.

I particularly enjoy the second illustration. It reminds me of a roommate's pug when he shits in the house for some reason.

Comment

I have a couple of those tools Dicky. I guess I could jam my tool in her and see if I can get it off.

Comment

Ok, it did have the clips, they were just not in the area I was looking at yesterday. The clip tool did not fit them, but once I realized what I was dealing with I was able to get a small pick in there and pop them out.

Comment

Cranks come off easily once clips had been removed then?

Comment

Working...
                              X