Compleate makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compleate makeover

My current project is Elvira's complete make over, it is a long and ongoing process, not to mention expensive. Her 390c.i. engine is all done, completely rebuilt and ready for istallation and am now working on the engine compartment and body work.... replacing the third side glass with cover panels, makeing her a Landau instead of a Limo style....got to have those awesome landau bars you know...lol Most of the time is spent researching parts and accessories.. still trying to find a set of original wire wheel covers for her.... not sure what years will fit the old 62 reversed wheels, they are 15 inch and have had trouble putting newer covers on them. The interrior has been farmed out to a friend that is stitching her all up in bright red crushed velvet button tuffed....very sexy and seductive...lol and curtains to match. when finished she will be sporting 1984 gun metal gray metallic paint and black vinyl top.

The easiest thing to do is to just buy some newer wheels. Nothing seems to fit those old cad wheels......and the cad caps don't seem fit anything newer. I've got the steel wheels from my '68 pontiac on my '62 cad, with some chrome rings from a '89 suburban and the small dog-dish caps from a '58 vette.

Comment

Way cool....Guess I never thought that regular G.M. wheels would bolt on, but if they are 5 on 5 why the hell not. Wonder if 14 inch off a 69 Caprice would fit?, I do have a nice set of 14 inch wire covers, minus the center caps......

Comment

Originally posted by Elvirathehearse View Post
        Way cool....Guess I never thought that regular G.M. wheels would bolt on, but if they are 5 on 5 why the hell not. Wonder if 14 inch off a 69 Caprice would fit?, I do have a nice set of 14 inch wire covers, minus the center caps......
        I wouldn't step down to 14" wheels as regular production wheels are okay in a pinch, they won't support the weight. Our steel wheels are riveted together. I believe the standard wheels are welded together in small sections or possibly "pressed together".

Comment

I thought that the 14's would be too small anyway, I will just keep looking for 15 inch wheels and covers or if I win the lottery I would purchase some custom wire wheels made for the old 62......lol

Comment

i would go with 15" or bigger

Comment

5 lug wheels from a full sized chevy or GMC pickup or suburban will bolt right on and have the load capacity. They are also very common and usually can be picked up for $10-20 a set.............then you can get a set of wire covers from a early 80's caprice.

Comment

The search is over for the wheel covers, scored a very nice set of Cadillac wire covers on ebay, that are perfect fit to the old reversed wheels. Thanks for all your help in this matter. The work continues on Elvira, next up, glass replacement, going to have that done at a local windsheild shop....all side windows were shot with BB guns and are cracked.........damn vandals anyways....lol

Comment

Working...
                X