No announcement yet.

Has anybody tried dying their interior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried dying their interior?

Pretty self explanitory title - I can't afford to completely redo my interior, its in pretty decent shape, just baby blue. Can I dye the satin? Paint it? What have other people done?

Dependss on what color you want to dye it...

Comment

Dying....hehe

Hey there!

What type of material is it? You mentioned Satin? Is it the whole interior or just pieces, etc.....

If its the brocade material, Ive had pretty decent luck with just spray paint on a couple of cars, light, light coats and lots of patience. It looked pretty decent but I was alos going black over blue. In any case going lighter is pretty tricky.

For vinyl pieces......You can buy a good vinyl dye in a aerosol can. With this stuff you need to sprayit pretty wet, unlike regular spray paint. You could even go from a brown to a blue or somethign with this type of dye.

If its a material.....Now, Ive never had satin in one my coaches before (Are you sure its satin, its an awful fragile material, Ive never actually seen it in ANY hearse). Satin is man-made I believe, so its essentially plastic so I vinyl dye would be in order. If its an actual natural cloth rit dye works ok. Best to dye it, wash it, and dye it again.

Have you considered pulling each interior panel out and re-upholstering it? This is actually pretty easy and you could use any type of material you want. Best to get a good drapery type material so it wont sun fade so fast. Zac can probably give you much more infor on those types of materials than I can.

Gimme a bit more info......

Alex!

Comment

I think its more of a brocade than a satin. I don't think I have any vinyl. I was wanting to do the headliner, door panels and sides in the back. I'm not sure what color I want to go, it'll be darker than the blue - either black or dark green.

Eventually, I was going to reupholster the panels, but I can't afford to do that right now. I'm just looking for a temporary fix that won't look like crap.

Comment

Also keep in mind there are two different kinds of brocade. The miller meteor type of brocade is more of a fabric material, and it dyes very very well. The superior brocade on the other hand is a more tougher material that almost seems like woven plastic and i haven't had very good luck dying that stuff. But I would imagine that the superior brocade would work well with the vinyl paint stuff.
          Also keep in mind that my comparason here is based on late 60's through mid 70's commercial chassis cars , the newer stuff may be different, but our 84 superior has the plastic type brocade in it.....

Comment

PIcs

Have you got a pic or two you can post or email me at alexcantsleep@yahoo.com. I can prolly tell what it is and hopefully help get you on the right track. It helps too to know that it just needs to be an improvement and not the "forever" fix. I can relate to that as well. I need to totally strip the 67 to the bare metal (again...sigh) so in the meantime I shot it in Satin black. Looks nice and clean and I can show it easier than having the old (9 year old) faded black paint.

Alex!

Comment

Alex - I'll PM you next time I have access to her. She's still in the body shop right now.

Straycat - She's a '67 superior. So I'm probably looking at the plasticy brocade.

Comment

Check out http://www.eastwoodco.com/
                Talk about restoration products!

Comment

Hey Linnea,

I'm not sure how helpful it is, but I am removing the rest of the interior from my 75 superior. It's all black brocade. There is a lot of sun-fading, and some water stains on the door panels, but they may work as a temporary fix if they fit. There are also some of the floor panels from when the previous owner took out the casket table. Let get some measurements together and see if you are interested.

Pics of the pieces can be found here - http://pics.livejournal.com/pandorac...llery/0000b1ed

Comment

TW, any of this stuff still around?

Comment

Working...
                    X