my stereo install - let me show you it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my stereo install - let me show you it

So! this is a project that's been going on for about a year or more now, but i've finally finished my stereo install.

First, i got a pair of speakers for christmas two years ago. it was a result of someone's ebay addiction, or something. I believe they are 4" two-way speakers. No, i don't remember the brand name at this point.

I had to take much of the front interior out, and remove part of the partition to mount the speakers. Here is a picture of the driver's side rear speaker. note the razor knife for size reference

next we have some sony 3x5 three way speakers in the dash. i installed these over a year ago. I had to pull the dash back off, cause the driver's side one had a bad connection.

i had to cut away some of the under-dash area to get the driver's side one to fit

Comment

Here you can see the stereo unit mounted in the glove box. i cut the rear out of the glove box so it would fit. Note the wire mesh on the right side, to keep objects from falling down inside the car.

i wanted to mount it in the glove box, so i wouldn't screw up my nice looking dash with a modern stereo. also, i didn't want any of this to be obvious. since i drive my coach a lot to atlanta and leave it parked, i didn't any anyone to look inside and see anything interesting

it is a panasonic, and it will play CDs, MP3 cds, has a hookup for your ipod or favorite MP3 player, a remote, and of course a normal radio.

It was relatively easy to wire it up. My handy-multi meter made short work of the job. Although i will confess, i figured the red wire would be the on switch wire, but no, it was the yellow and black one.

Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

finally, i used adhesive velcro to secure the remote control and the MP3 player to the inside of the glove box lid for easy access.

This is by no means a *killer* sound system. But it is clear, and plenty fine and loud for my purposes.

unfortunately, i n00bed the rewire, and didn't leave enough wire in the connector of the old stereo so i could run power to it. so alas, no clock display on the old radio.

Comment

looks good. Netherworld had mounted their radio and cd changer in the church truck compartment and mount the remote on the sun visor. But I like yours better. Easier to get to.
          Good job

Comment

thanks! oh, and i found a pen from the funeral home lodged inside the glove box lid. that made me almost as excited as actually finishing the install.

Comment

Hell yeah! I just finished gutting the back of Erzabet and found 2 different pens from the funeral home and a canadian quarter (from 85, so I assume it was under there since the conversion)

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

I have always thought the radio in the glovebox idea was cool.

Comment

hey, BIGEVIL, thanks again for sending me that audio book. i guess i'm done with it now.

if anyone needs a car audio book, let me know.

Comment

Cool install. I may try the glove box thing.

Comment

I've also been interested in the glove box radio - I happen to have a stereo from my old Kia that I've been meaning to do something with. The only thing with my '80 is the antenae doesn't retract anymore so the motor may need to be replaced.

Comment

yeah, that's a very common problem i think.

Comment

The motor on mine quit workin too, just made sure it was in the up position and disconnected the power to it when I installed my new system.

Comment

Nice. I like the idea of it being hidden away in the glovebox.

Comment

Working...
                              X