changing tire on hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing tire on hearse

ok please don't flame me,but I am wondering where is the best spot to put the jack when changing a flat tire? I noticed the other day for the first time that underneath the left rear panel right behind the wheel there is a dent that someone before me; put the j to change a tire and bent the bottom of the panel. . I noticed that reading the orginal owners booklet said that if the hearse is taken to a shop the CAN NOT USE A FRAME LIFT AT ALL it says they have to have the front raised by the lower control arms ONLY close to the wheels as possible and the rear I guess it is called a basket cradel for the rear? the picture shows it is on each side of the rear end differencial cover and lift the car ONly that way? so I am just trying to see where the proper location is on a hearse ,for future use with out causing any damage. thank you

I lift mine from:

the control arms, near the tires under the coil springs
    the frame under the oil pan
    the axle near the rear leaf springs
    the differential
    the frame at the front & back were it's flat & wide (behind the front tires & in front of the rear tires)

Never had a problem yet & even the tire shops lift mine from those spots as well.

Comment

Also be sure that the jack doesn't want to tip over. Having it fall on the axle is not fun at all

Comment

Yeah, that does suck, but I use cupped jacks to reduce that problem.
        The last time I had the jack slip of the axle it but a 4 inch in diameter & about an inch deep dent in my floor pan. Thankfully it wasn't seen or felt from inside the car since it was under the table of one of my previous hearses.

Comment

i just call AAA lord knows i might bust a nail or something

Comment

I've raised mine many times on a "spider lift" at Big 10 tires When I worked there. I didn't like doing it because of the potental of falling.

Comment

What the fuck is a "spider lift?!"

Comment

thats what we called it, I'm not sure of the real name. It's a 2 post lift with swing arms.

Comment

It's called a two post above ground lift.

Comment

I have a photocopied sheet with the jack instructions for our 1964 cadillac hearse if its any help to you. Happy to email a copy

Comment

The last time I used a two post above ground lift, my hearse buckled the back two arms. The car was about 4 feet of the ground when the arms buckled, didn't damage the car - luckily.
                      But the shop was upset about their broken arms.

Comment

musta been a cheap lift......cause we had mine on a 2 post for over 3 hours 6 feet in the air beating it with an 8 lb sledge and nothing happened

Comment

I don't think they had it balanced right. I've never had a problem with any other lifts prior or after that incident. It was a 10,000 pound capacity lift.

Comment

too much beer in the back then

Comment

I told them they didn't compensate for the body, since it had a casket in the back.

Comment

Working...
                              X