Ordered my window (sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered my window (sort of)

The rear window on a Superior 3-way is really kind of small, only about 16" x 44" or so at the outside, so I ordered 3/8" Lexan. I think that this should stop a BB, pellet, or jack handle, if I seal and secure it well. Including shipping, a 24 x 48 sheet is about $150, at least better than the $900 windscreen. 1/2" is the minimum that bulletproofers use, as I understand it, but I think we're dealing with BBs, not bullets, and thanks to the genorosity of our members, I have a car cover. It sure will be sweet to drive the coach again, in another week or two when I have the window in.

-denise

I don't think that this is going to be too hard to install. 3/8" Lexan is thicker than glass, and less flexible than thinner plastics, but it looks easy enough to put in like an aircraft window, with sealant, or a piece of dum-dum tape, and then use the clamps to pull it in. The hard part will be the cutting and fitting, and I plan to make a thin plywood template.

Any hints?
    Attached Files

Comment

I finished the edges of my piece of Lexan today. I used an angle grinder with a 50-grit sanding disc attachment. It removed the marks left by the band saw and left a smooth, opaque surface. It doesn't need any more smoothing out than that, because it's a window and no one will see it. I just didn't want any stress raisers that could start a crack.

Running out of excuses not to install it now. Once the pieces of the old window come out, I have to put the new one in, or cats will climb in there.

Comment

post up pics as you do the install

Comment

Working...
        X