MAKE YOUR OWN wide whites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKE YOUR OWN wide whites?

You have to check this out! I'd heard of it but never seen it done... make your own wide whitewalls! Not so sure about the integrity of the tire afterwards... especially on a heavy coach... but it's neat

If one is to try it they should have a bucket of water that they apply to the tire periodically, because if the rubber gets hot enough to ignite it would be nearly impossible to put out. Interesting to see the cross cut of the tire. It really doesn't look like it would take away from the side way strength.

Comment

it doesn't get hot enough to ignite. they are about 10 feet tires. if you get any closer they aren't as smooth. i've had no problems out of mine and i've put about 10k miles on em.

Comment

My neighbor makes those funny little swings out of used tires. He turns them into "Saddles" and "Horses". Kinda cool looking once done. Well one day I came home from work to find what I thought was ALL the local fire dept. vehicles parked up and down the street. There was even the Hazardous Materials unit RV as well. The guy accidentally ignited one of the tires while he was cutting them for his hobby. It caught the garage floor on fire as t was mostly rubber dust. He had second degree burns to his arms and legs. I can't tell you what smelled worst, the tires or his skin...and that smell stayed in the area for about a month.

Maybe just sanding the tire won't cause it to ignite, but better safe than sorry.

Comment

Another problem is that they will never stay clean, and after a littlewhile, they wont come clean at all. There's no way in hell you are going to get that rubber with a completely smooth surface like they are after the initial injection molding process, so it's cleanliness ability and ability to stay that way would be kaput. They used to do this alot more often then they do now. and they look nice as hell for a month.

Comment

They sell tire paint for this too, which would probably be safer and look better.

Comment

Working...
            X