No announcement yet.

Painting the 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to super-sleuth livejournal to find it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Atti!

It's also here under the thread I started labeled "1960 Superior" on the second page. It's one of the pics Zack took the day I brought her home.

Also - I have the coolest friends in the world. Zack was trying to get me space in a warehouse to paint Helen, but can't seem to contact the guy. I called my buddy shawn who proceeded to clear out the back half of his family's shop and get me set up with a lighted space big enough to walk around Helen with her doors open, completely enclosed, well ventilated, with air, electricity, water, everything. We'll move her hopefully today, getting her out of the rain. We still have a bit of cleaning up to do as far as prep work, but we'll probably be shooting by Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by TWHawk View Post
        Thanks Atti!

It's also here under the thread I started labeled "1960 Superior" on the second page. It's one of the pics Zack took the day I brought her home.

Hmmm.... I know I've been through that thread before, I remember the sword. It is the last picture to load on that page though, and I have a slow connection so I may have bailed prematurely...

Anyway, I feel complete now.

By the way, a year later and still no new valve stems?
        I'm just kidding, that's one of those things that sounds real simple to fix on the surface, then ends up being a giant pain in the ass that you end up paying someone to do while you sit in a waiting room for an hour...
        Last edited by R U INJRD; 05-26-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Yesterday the summer semester started, and then Nate and I put in 12 hours doing final prep, masking and spraying the primer coat. Helen has never looked uglier.

Last night after putting our tools away we spent some time walking around the car with me rather distraught, and him assuring me that she's supposed to look like that covered in sanding primer. Nate's really excited about how everything is going. I may muster up some enthusiasm once I have consumed a quantity of coffee.

Onward.

Comment

Yesterday was spent sanding. Today will be spent spraying another primer coat, and the first layer of black.

Comment

DAMMIT! I should have bought stock in 3M before you started this project... there's now a worldwide shortage of masking tape & 3M executives are wondering whose suddenly buying their product by the case! LOL looking good you guys...

Comment

Guess the warehouse space came through. Way to go ZBH! Considerable amount of effort you've done in a short period of time shows Traveler.

Which is more sore from sanding - you or Nate? Spill.

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
                  Guess the warehouse space came through. Way to go ZBH! Considerable amount of effort you've done in a short period of time shows Traveler.

Which is more sore from sanding - you or Nate? Spill.

Actually, that's the back room at my buddy's shop, Sale's Oil.

As for who is hurting more, I am going to say probably Nate, as he's had to take on anything heavy, and he's the one more experienced with the paint gun, so he's done all of the actual painting.

We have two coats of black down, and Helen looks pretty bad. I am regretting following the advice of all the people who told me not to take it to bare metal. It would have taken a couple of more days at the outset, but no ammount of sanding primer is covering the ripples, and I don't know what to do about it. Nate is beating himself up because he thinks this is somehow his fault. I am thinking it's the fault of inexperience and a lack of time. Also, the initial goal of keeping the rust from spreading has been met. She is solid. I am ok with leaving her as is (no finishing coats) and trying again at a later date. We are out of time for now, but with the assurance that she's not going to rot away, I'd be willing to call a do-over.

I forgot the camera today.

Comment

You guys deserve some bigtime respect points for taking this project on yourselves. How did you handle the rust out spots?

Comment

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted. Nate got called out of town for business, and I gave him my computer for the trip. That also means there will be no more pictures posted until he gets home.

Helen is currently covered head to toe in a black "band-aid" paint job. All the people who were telling me not to take that entire car to bare metal, and that the sanding coats would smooth everything out were obviously smoking something, or didn't realize just how many layers of old paint I would be working through to chase down the myriad little rust spots. Currently she looks like a pack of wild monkeys armed with hammers had a go at her.

I have decided to to drop my summer classes, as they had nothing to do with my degree, and instead use the summer to work on my car. I am getting some estimates for media blasting for the purpose of taking all of the new paint, and the rest of the old paint off of the car. My friends at Sale's Oil are working with me for shop space.

I put enough of her back together to safely and legally take her to Hearse-Con, and I am so glad that I did. The meet and greet was earlier this evening, and getting her out from under the shop lights, and just driving Helen helped. The reception we recieved upon arrival made me feel so much better. She is still an interesting and beautiful car, even missing most of her chrome and lights. I have not done any damage to the car - She's just a bit ugly for the time being. Zack gave me a hug and assured me that he's made all the same mistakes that I am making now. Richard parked his bondo and rust covered hearse next to me so that I'd feel better. It was a very sweet gesture. Overall, in the short time I was there, I got a lot of encouragement. I am so pleased to be a part of this community.

Also - The meet and greet gave a quick preview, and there are some really cool coaches showing up tomorrow. I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by randyaz View Post
                        You guys deserve some bigtime respect points for taking this project on yourselves. How did you handle the rust out spots?

Those two spots were so small, we were able to grind out the rust, treat the area and smooth on a bit of bondo. I'll keep and eye on the spots, and if necessary at a later date, I can weld in some patches, but for now it just seemed unnecessary.

Comment

Helen is currently covered head to toe in a black "band-aid" paint job. All the people who were telling me not to take that entire car to bare metal, and that the sanding coats would smooth everything out were obviously smoking something, or didn't realize just how many layers of old paint I would be working through to chase down the myriad little rust spots. Currently she looks like a pack of wild monkeys armed with hammers had a go at her.
                          Alright, let's review here: You admitted you don't know how to approach this job & asked for advice. Now it's our fault your coach looks like it was attacked by wild monkeys? It looks bad because you lack bodywork skills & don't know what you're doing. Do you really think that coach is smooth as glass under all that paint? That's the whole solution, to strip it to bare metal? Smoke another one. It's a coach-built car... everything was grafted together piece by piece & leaded in by master craftsmen. There's so much filler that went into smoothing that car out for it's 1st paint job it's not funny. Bodywork is an ART... it CANNOT be mastered in 2 - 3 weeks on a 49 year old, 24 foot long hearse in the back room of an oil company. You go by feel & eyeballing everything, primering is to get an area all one color so you have something to judge what is too low & too high, then feather in some filler where needed, sand & spray it again after working it by feel. Your original post said you weren't going for perfection... just preservation, now you're pissed it seems because it doesn't look like it rolled out of Chip Foose's shop. Sorry but you kinda struck a nerve with the blame game & telling us we're obviously stoned when all we did was offer advice to someone who doesn't know what they're doing & doesn't have the cash to have it done professionally. If bodywork & paint were easy everyone would be doing it. I know you're upset but now you know why people said these things to you:
                          BIG EVIL: "As far as paint, save your money and do it right the first time.
                          The imperfections the car has now, add character.
                          A coat of house paint will make it look like ass no matter how good of a job."
                          MORELLA: "My recommendation, for a classic like this, is to use a rust treatment to keep it from spreading, and save up for a professional job. You want to learn paint and body work on an old beater. I would be worried about making a hole in it, trying to get rid of some of that rust."
                          RANDYAZ: "You guys deserve some bigtime respect points for taking this project on yourselves."

I hope you don't start hating Helen in her current state & hopefully you'll get her squared away to where you're happy with her appearance. Bodywork takes years of practice to perfect so don't be mad at yourself or your friends here for her current condition ok?

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
                            Now it's our fault your coach looks like it was attacked by wild monkeys?

Oh, not at all, and I apologize if my post makes it sound that way.

Please remember that I have taken advice from several places. I have also stated in a prior post that Helen's condition was due to lack of time and experience. The whole reason I was not able to do the sanding and leave behind a passable surface is because I have not done it before.

I have taken the summer off from school so that I can take some more time and try to fix the mess that I have made. The point of my post that I have failed to get across is that I am in no way about to give up on this. I am learning. It's a sometimes ugly process. In no way is anyone else to be blamed for my failures, but it would be unfair of me to not post them and pretend they didn't happen.

Again, I apologize if it sounded like I was passing blame.

Comment

In no way is anyone else to be blamed for my failures, but it would be unfair of me to not post them and pretend they didn't happen.
                              Just remember you have not failed until you give up on the project, regardless of how it looks at the moment.

Comment

Well good traveler i'm glad you're not going to give up & you're not upset with us here on NHAA. It's discouraging to say the least to see your pride & joy in shambles, half disassembled & not looking 100% but you'll get there & get Helen looking nice... just don't throw in the towel on her (we know you won't though)

Comment

Working...
                                X