Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Painting the 60
Collapse
X
-
So will you tell us what color (or colors) Helen is going to be? I know you hated the "easter egg" as you called it paint scheme! Just wondered if you'll tell us of if it's a surprise...
-
Thanks, I'll try that!
No new pictures today, as nothing really looks different. I'm down to hand-sanding edges and the insides of doors. It rained today so I had a girl-moment with the wet sandpaper - That's just gross. Tomorrow will be more of the same. Hopefully she'll be ready to move into the warehouse for the final paint-prep stages on Monday.
Leave a comment:
-
Originally posted by TWHawk View PostGood advise, and thank you, but I didn't make myself understood...
Most of the chrome that I have removed from Helen has paint on it already. The prior painter tried to mask around everything, and missed a lot. I'd like to know how to get all of that old paint off of the chrome before I put it back on the car.
Try using superfine steel wool (#0000) and "chrome cleaner" (most auto parts stores and Wal-Mart, etc. sell it - it's just called "chrome cleaner"), but go really lightly with it or you'll start to get swirl marks in your chrome. Try it on an old piece first.
It may be called "chrome polish" too. Don't get fooled into thinking you can "polish" chrome though, like you can with other surfaces like aluminum or paint. Chrome is a hardened surface. You can take rust off of it, but this fools people into thinking they are polishing the metal, which you really arent doing. With aluminum or paint when you polish it you are creating a series of increasingly smaller "scratches", until they are so small you can't see them. With chrome, the harder you rub the more scratches you introduce. You want to go really lightly, so that you are removing the debris on the surface (rust, paint, whatever) without digging into the chrome surface. The chrome is hard enough that you can use something like steel wool to remove surface debris without harming the chrome, but if you start applying too much pressure you will eventully dig into the chrome, creating swirls that are almost impossible to remove. The more you try, the worse they get.
Practice is the best way to get a feel for how much you can do. I would suggest buying some new small chromed piece and using the polish on it to see what kind of pressure is too much. If you polish the piece and it still looks new, you're doing all right. If it has little scratches in it that weren't there when you took it out of the package you are applying too much pressure.
This is why professional auto detailers make the big bucks. They know how to clean your ride so it doesn't look worse when they're done.
Leave a comment:
-
Good advise, and thank you, but I didn't make myself understood...Originally posted by hotroddwayne View PostYou just have to be careful, you've already said you saw some scuffs in the chrome from a previous sandpaper incident. Fold over a piece of DA sandpaper & use that straight-edge of the paper to get up close along chrome moldings. Here's another trick I learned from trial-and-error... get some shim stock (it comes in several thicknesses for industrial applications to shim up moving parts in machinery to exact elevations) and a good thickness to use is .2mm what you do is cut a piece of shim stock about 3 - 5 inches long... it's THIN enough to slide UNDER any chrome molding... & fold it up to guard your chrome, use it to guard your chrome while hand sanding & move it along as you go. Shim stock is very thin metal & .2mm is only 2 tenths of a millimeter thick, comes in a roll usually or a sheet. It's tough as nails though even though paper thin... now you can get creative with smaller pieces of shim stock to get around rounded corners & tight areas... basically anywhere where the chrome is fastened to the coach with some type of clip & you can get your new "chrome shield" between the chrome & the body. Cut & fold a few different sizes & shapes & keep re-using them as you sand. Only slide the shim stock under the chrome a little, then fold it up so it always fits close even if there's a chrome clip in the area you slid it into under that chrome. Sorry for the metric references, but I work for the Japanese & all our stuff is metric but hopefully you understand the concept.
Most of the chrome that I have removed from Helen has paint on it already. The prior painter tried to mask around everything, and missed a lot. I'd like to know how to get all of that old paint off of the chrome before I put it back on the car.
Leave a comment:
-
You just have to be careful, you've already said you saw some scuffs in the chrome from a previous sandpaper incident. Fold over a piece of DA sandpaper & use that straight-edge of the paper to get up close along chrome moldings. Here's another trick I learned from trial-and-error... get some shim stock (it comes in several thicknesses for industrial applications to shim up moving parts in machinery to exact elevations) and a good thickness to use is .2mm what you do is cut a piece of shim stock about 3 - 5 inches long... it's THIN enough to slide UNDER any chrome molding... & fold it up to guard your chrome, use it to guard your chrome while hand sanding & move it along as you go. Shim stock is very thin metal & .2mm is only 2 tenths of a millimeter thick, comes in a roll usually or a sheet. It's tough as nails though even though paper thin... now you can get creative with smaller pieces of shim stock to get around rounded corners & tight areas... basically anywhere where the chrome is fastened to the coach with some type of clip & you can get your new "chrome shield" between the chrome & the body. Cut & fold a few different sizes & shapes & keep re-using them as you sand. Only slide the shim stock under the chrome a little, then fold it up so it always fits close even if there's a chrome clip in the area you slid it into under that chrome. Sorry for the metric references, but I work for the Japanese & all our stuff is metric but hopefully you understand the concept.Here's a question... If I'm not supposed to go near the chrome with sand paper, how do I get the paint off? Is there some sort of chemical I should try?
Leave a comment:
-
Thank you for the encouragement. I have to admit it's becoming an almost physical effort not to sometimes think along the lines of "Oh my god, what have I done to my car?"
Here's a question... If I'm not supposed to go near the chrome with sand paper, how do I get the paint off? Is there some sort of chemical I should try?
Leave a comment:
-
Good luck to you guys! Hope Helen turns out just like you want her to be... it's great to see a chick driven by passion to make an already goregous car even better, and willing to take it on yourselves every step of the way... no better way to learn
Leave a comment:
-
Now in the light of day, I realize there are only two more pictures to add. It’s slow and careful work at this point, as Nate and I have heard so many horror stories that it’s impossible not to think one of us is going to make some catastrophic error. I have already managed to tag a bit of chrome with my angle grinder, which would upset me if I could figure out which gouge was mine and which was preexisting. The happy news is that it’s going a bit faster than I expected. The super exciting news is that as far as I can tell, this car has never been in so much as a fender-bender. There is a couple of small dings like car-door marks, but not a bit of bondo to be found. Also, she was definitely baby blue when new.
I am pleased that we started the project when we did. More often than I’d like I’ll be scuffing the paint and spot a crack which I then follow to the metal and usually find a little spot of rust. Still, I have found one cancerous spot small enough to cover with my little finger, and a couple of scary spots below the doors where you’d expect. Otherwise, she’s perfect.
Zack has been awesome in allowing us to use his driveway to make this mess, and running an extension cord from the house for us. Richard stopped in for a moment and spent the next couple of hours crawling under Helen to try his hand at turning some rotted screws. Nate has been with me every step of the way accept for the first few hours of a day when I’ll go get my OCD on making sure that everything is labeled or numbered and neatly stacked while trying not to cringe about the dirt on my casket table and the battery sitting in the passenger seat.
I have to hold off a bit this morning for a 9:am bone-cracky-doctor visit, and then I'll be back out there for day 5.Attached Files
Leave a comment:
-
K. So, today's pictures will get posted tomorrow... It was a long day.
Leave a comment:
-
Because right now Nate and I have two solid weeks to work on her, and good weather for the foreseeable future. That's really rare.Originally posted by Atti View PostLovin' Helen's well deserved makeover updates Traveler. One question though: Why didn't you wait until after HearseCon?
Leave a comment:
-
Lovin' Helen's well deserved makeover updates Traveler. One question though: Why didn't you wait until after HearseCon?
Leave a comment:
-
I'm on my way to begin day three of Helen's makeover. We still have a few bits of chrome that we're fighting with, but we'll actually get some paint stripped today.
Leave a comment:
-
One day down... Many more to go.
We are almost done getting the trim off, and it's apparent that it was just masked over for the purple/pink job. We are having some trouble due to screws being both difficult to reach and rusted in place.
Spreaking of rust, I have yet to uncover anything terrible. Most of the bad spots are where you'd expect them, and not even close to as far gone as I figured they might be. The underside of the chrome below the doors was packed with dirt, and even that didn't cause rot.
One particularly tricky spot is the crome around the tail lights in the fins. Any suggestions for getting that off? I'm afraid to apply too much pressure.
Leave a comment:
-
Any man who will let you touch his tool, er, um, tools, is awesome. I lock my box when I see my daughter's boyfriend coming.
That didn't come out right, did it?
-denise
Leave a comment:
-
Nate is awesome. Today while we were out, he took me on a couple of parking lot tours, explaining the differences in the paint on various cars. He then took me to the shop to take a more educated look at the paint he has done on his latest motorcycle project. The last thing he did was hand me every tool he had available for stripping paint and set me up with the tank off of my Virago, and let me go at it to see what I preferred for the job. I ultimately chose a small angle grinder with a plastic-feeling stripping wheel. It takes the paint of quickly, but gently enough that I could see the layers coming off before it got to shiny bare metal. I also liked how it showed me high and low spots, and maneuvered easily around the curves. I was impressed. Tomorrow we start on the real thing.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: