Just got my first procar - '96 Caddy Eureka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my first procar - '96 Caddy Eureka

I've always wanted a coach and finally had a deal fall into my lap I couldn't refuse. A '96 Cadillac with the LT1 Vette motor and 53K miles on the clock for less than 3 grand!
    Mechanically, it's almost perfect (as a 53K mile car should be!) needs brake rotors but that's it.

Cosmetically, that's a different story.
    I've been a car guy all my life and seen PLENTY of used cars.
    However, I'm completely boggled at how in the world an otherwise great car could have so many little things broken, removed, loose, etc.
    Virtually everywhere you look, something minor needs fixed!
    All of the interior door pull panels are taken loose, drivers door pull was in the console with one of the pins that holds the handle to the panel is missing. That's a typical example!
    Rearview mirror missing, fuse panel cover is broken, drivers door controls were unplugged, pax side tail light, the bulbs and harness were laying inside the fender, not plugged into the light housing, rocker trim loose, wheel well moulding loose, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc!
    I think it all stems from an ultra crappy paintjob.
    poor masking, I think they hashed the panels and trim trying to remove and replace them, paint is flaking under the hood, the whole deal.
    Good news is that pretty much all of the Eureka parts are there, no missing trim or chrome bits - the interior is all good, but the panels are popped loose and need reinstalled properly.
    Soo anyway, I've been working for a couple of days just putting everything back together and the car keeps reluctantly giving up it's surprises.
    A Casket key in the overhead was the start.
    Last night after I got the drivers door panel put back in properly and got all of the controls wired and working right, I was able to move the power seats up. Underneath them, there were some surprises waiting....
    Owner's Manual - great find, then....
    Several funeral programs (to be expected), copies of a couple of death certificates (again kind of expectable) then I found the bag...

Underneath the back of the passenger seat, tucked way up in there was a little velvet bag about the size of pack of cigarettes, full of something. I poured some of the contents into my hand and yup, it appears to be someone's ashes.
    Sooo back to the project, everything is going well.
    I need to find some of the aluminum blocks that rivet to the side of the car and the trim snaps to if anyone knows where to get them I'd be grateful!
    Also any info you can give me about the ride, PLEASE do!
    I just figured out it's a Eureka last night.
    Like I said, longtime car guy (I built the Jeep in the pic among others), total noob hearse guy and learning as fast as possible!
    Here's a few pics..
    Attached Files

Congrats! Glad to have you aboard, you can look all over the internet at hearse sites & fanclubs... but THIS is the place to be, right here on NHAA. Look around, introduce yourself, post on the boards, & make some friends. We're pretty open on here & tell it like it is.

Man these Eurekas are coming out of the woodwork lately!

Comment

i found an empty pack of redman and a mc donald's bag in mine, along with a funeral program and a few other things

Comment

I used to own a 96 Impala SS, and even though I babied it and pampered it I had a lot of the types of problems you speak of. GM has never seemed to get a handle on producing quality plastic parts that fit together correctly and last. I was always fixing door pulls and handles, and the bezels that go around them. I got a brand new bezel from GM, and one day I was getting food from the drive-thru window in the rain and it got wet. It PERMANENTLY DAMAGED the plastic, left little soft spots in it that raised up, almost like you spilled battery acid on it.

Don't even get me started on window rollers. Don't be surprised if one day the window of your 53,000 mile car just falls into your door.

You would be wise to seek out a 94-96 Impala SS related forum, they seem to have the best information on troubleshooting and parts for B-bodied cars.

Comment

Our funeral home has a 97 Eureka, We have taken off the rear door pull because it was loose and scratching bearers. We just replaced the interior divider glass since the seat was pushed back into it, and the body has cracks all over from the fibreglass settling.

Comment

My first was a 77 model that someone had tried there hand at wiring.

(looks around room)

Comment

Originally posted by tonytheskin View Post
              My first was a 77 model that someone had tried there hand at wiring.

(looks around room)
              Now THAT'S funny as HELL!

Comment

Well, I've been spending evenings tinkering and fixing little things right and left.

rotors and pads are ordered

Put 9 light bulbs in it last night - 2 flourescents in the shadow boxes in the rear and most of the interior lights, rewired the 3rd brake light, reattached a buttload of trim panels, fixed the sunglass holder, reattached a bunch of the rocker trim, etc etc
                Just everywhere I turned was another little something that needed put back together or fixed.

But she sure does look purdy with the shadow boxes lit up in the back

I really need some of the little blocks that the trim attaches to, if anyone knows where I can order them.

The little blocks that rivet/screw to the body and the chrome trim channel snaps onto.

Comment

But she sure does look purdy with the shadow boxes lit up in the back
                  Let's see some pictures. Start an album and post lots of pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                    Let's see some pictures. Start an album and post lots of pictures.
                    Done!

Comment

So, where in Texas are you? From whence comes this coach? Inquiring minds and all that...

Comment

I'm a few miles East of Abilene, but the coach came from your neck of the woods, until very recently she was doing her duty for Restland Funeral Home in Dallas

Comment

Cool to know you got it from around here, and it figures the car got treated so badly. If I am not mistaken, Restland is an SCI operation. Which location was it? I am about 5 miles from the North Dallas location (where my father and his family is interred).

Comment

the clergy records I found under the seat were from

9220 Restland Rd
                            Dallas 75243

Comment

It's a good day to be a hearse in my garage!

I now have ALL of the parts needed to COMPLETE Pandora!

considering the massive list of brokens, missings and need fixeds she had when I got her, this is pretty amazing!

the remnants of the to-do list:
                              she was missing the rocker trim between the pax side fender skirt and the rear door, picked up the pax rear door rocker off of a 93 at the boneyard yesterday, just gotta cut it down to length.

She was missing the driver's side mirror - the new one got delivered today - $50 shipped brand new power and heated! - just gotta get some duplicolor and paint it

She was missing the emblem off of the right front wheel center cap - the cap I got off ebay was delivered today!

She has a warped brake rotor - got a pair of rotors and set of pads sitting here waiting

Also have her a hood cable sitting here to go in

Add a couple more light bulbs and she will whole and complete!
                              All the trim, all the baubles and dodads and everything she left Eureka with will be in place!

Now its just fun stuff coming - the backup camera and monitor are somewhere between Texas and hong kong, but her funeral flags arrived today

Now if it would just drop back from triple digit temps so I can go work on her without melting.....

Comment

Working...
                              X