5sp. tranny for my 500 big block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5sp. tranny for my 500 big block

Does anyone kow where I could get a 5, 6, or 7 sp. MANUAL transmission for my 500 big block? I want to take out the shitty 3sp auto and convert it into a bad ass stick shift.

Oooof! That's a tough one. Tremec makes some killer 6-speeds but the only Caddy bell housings i've ever seen are for the really old stuff. Best thing to do is contact some outfits like Tremec & see if anything is even available. Back in the day GM used a standard bell housing pattern on the Chevy blocks & another for the Oldsmobiles & Buicks... & I think Cadillac was included in there too with that different pattern than the Chevy blocks. Be prepared for sticker shock though, last I looked just a Tremec 6-speed was almost $3,000 for JUST the tranny with a shifter, no bell housing, clutch, etc.
    As long as something is available to bolt up to a Caddy big block... the fabrication can be done quite easily for the clutch pedal & linkage. I put a Muncie 4-speed in a 1965 Buick Sport Wagon, but i'd mothballed the 300 V-8 & 2-speed slushbucket tranny for a healthy 350 Chevy & the Muncie. When it was done it looked like it came in the car, and man did it turn heads. I used a set of 1955 Chevy brake & clutch pedals for a clean look. Good luck dude but you may hit a brick wall with this project just because of availability issues.

Comment

you can mount a muncie 4e speed or a T5 5 speed with bellhousings from McLeod Industries

Comment

Hi, I looked into this myself, I have a '73 superior with a 472 ci. I did find a co. that would make the flywheel for about $1500, but I could not find a bellhousing that would work as pontiac,olds have starter on drivers side. I was told that there is a universal drag racing one avilible, you would also have to have the driveshaft custom made, and I dought the stock rear would be able to take the abouse. Big bucks any way you slice it. but if you have the cash it would be cool. good luck !!!!

Comment

I was also considering converting to a 454 with a 5 to 7 sp manual tranny. I kknow I would have to change the motor mounts and such, but it will be really easy to find parts. I'm not trying to take this car down the drag track, but I think a stick shift hearse would kick ass.

Comment

How about a cool floor shifter from lokar, and leave the stock tranny in there. It would be a HELL of a lot easier!

Comment

I guess i'm not so sure on how that would work. I don't want to keep the stock tranny in it. It's only a three speed with no overdrive. It really sucks the gas when I take it down the highway. Idealy, I would like to find a manual for the 500, but people are telling me that there isnt a manual tranny out there for that engine. I may just have to drop in a 454 with a manual tranny

Comment

It really sucks the gas when I take it down the highway
                No shit? An 8000lb car with a huge V8 gets bad milage? Are you sure you have the right hobby?

How much gas could you buy for $5000? Thats about what a good 454 with a descent 5 speed, new exhaust, modding the driveline, figure out how to mount a clutch master on a car that never had one, alt brkts, compressor brkts, power steering, etc etc etc etc.

If its highway driving you seek, then change the gear ratio in the rear end. Try a set of 3.08:1 or 2.90:1 ring and pinion.

Comment

Some guy on Youtube claims he has a 500ci engine with a 7sp tranny that goes 197 mph. I'm calling the BS card, but it still makes me curious if it's true or not. I would give up the manual tranny for a seven sp auto tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                    No shit? An 8000lb car with a huge V8 gets bad milage? Are you sure you have the right hobby?

How much gas could you buy for $5000? Thats about what a good 454 with a descent 5 speed, new exhaust, modding the driveline, figure out how to mount a clutch master on a car that never had one, alt brkts, compressor brkts, power steering, etc etc etc etc.

If its highway driving you seek, then change the gear ratio in the rear end. Try a set of 3.08:1 or 2.90:1 ring and pinion.

8000lb car....you got a stack of steel plates in the back?

Comment

8000lb car....you got a stack of steel plates in the back?
                      What does yours weigh?

Some guy on Youtube claims he has a 500ci engine with a 7sp tranny that goes 197 mph
                      In a hearse?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                        What does yours weigh?
                        Well we crushed one that had no glass, motor, trans, bumpers, and half the interior was gone and it weighed at 3240 lbs. So I can't see all those components weighing 4760 lbs.

Just sayin.

Comment

I weighed my 73 M-M a while back, before the casket. She weight about 6,200 lbs.

Comment

That's a huge bitch!! You guys know where I could get a set of purple headlight covers for the square headlights?

Comment

So I can't see all those components weighing 4760 lbs
                              If I remember correctly the GVW was 7200 lbs.
                              Add 5 batteries, an additional seat, a pair of 24" subs, a dozen speakers, overhead console, huge wheels, electric a/c, 1/4 mile of 0 gauge wire, several sheets of mdf, etc etc.

You guys know where I could get a set of purple headlight covers for the square headlights?
                              To keep out of trouble, you can upgrade your headlamps to a style that allows you to put an H9004 bulb in them. Since since the outer housing is plastic, it is very easy to drill and put a purple LED bulb near the bottom. Since an LED is clear when they are not on, it will still look stock and keep the cops happy.

Something like this

Comment

Working...
                              X