Landau bar fell out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landau bar fell out

While driving I heard a noise and when I got home I noticed that the ass end of the drivers side bar had fallen out and was hanging by the top bolt. Looks like the nut just rusted out. Apparently it's happened before because there's a chip in the paint where the bolt would have hit.

My question is after I take the nut off the bolt what's the best way to secure it back in there? Some friends said J.B. weld, and my dad said mighty putty (please note he doesn't know shit about cars). I'd like to be able to remove it once in a while to clean the vinyl under it (I like preventative maintenance).

put locktite on the bolt and tighten the nut back down. It'll hold just fine.

Comment

THE CORRECT TYPE of Loctite for your application, and make sure that the hole isn't "wallered out", or you'll never get a nut to stay on. Put a caliper in it, and if it's worn out of standard fit (get a machinist's handbook if you don't know what I'm talking about), have it built up and redrilled. As they say in Pleasant Grove, "Do it like white folks done it".

-denise

Comment

Working...
      X