Show me your switches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me your switches...

So I'm adding a few accessories to my '70 and need to put in about four switches to operate them. I got a miller and would like idea's of what you all have done. I did see an original '69's combo switch panel and thought it was ok. I like Derrik's panel hiding under the console as well. Any of you have pictures of what you've done?

Photobucket

I don't know about the 70, but I have a 76, whose dash is composed mostly of ashtray. My turbos are spinning down, so I can't go photograph it today, so I'll just describe it. I think that the pictures are on the modified Cadillac website, but it may have not been completed back then. I threw the ashtray in the trash, along with its bracketry, which freed up about half of the space, and installed an upholstered aluminum panel, with three even rows of circuit breakers and breaker switches, all of the wiring neatly in a bundle going into the dash, and about two feet of slack. If I have an electrical problem, I don't crawl under the dash. I just remove two screws and slide the panel out, and I can sit in the seat and find the problem. I've done it while the engine is running. It is an improvement of the Chrysler slide-out fusebox. If/when I sell the hearse, I'll have to include manual supplements, but it is really much simpler than it appears to be. What I hate is a scramble of wires that I have to contort my way under the dash to get to, and fuses that blow. Why do they still use fuses in cars? Homes were all replaced with circuit breakers in the 70's.

-denise

Comment

If the switch is powering an accessory with alot of power , be sure to include a relay in the circuit

Comment

red switch is for the siren. other switch is for lights that i haven't installed yet

Comment

switch location

If you look on your dash (left of speedo) below fuel gauge there are two cover panels you can mount two illum. toggle switches from Northern tools in those slots without cutting any holes. I found these slots when doing my under car lights. I think your picture Number 46 in your album show the spaces I am talking about.

Comment

since no one smokes in my car, I made a plate to go in the ashtray and hid my switches in there on my 96
            pull out the ashtray and there they are.

easily room for at least 4 switches
            this pic only shows half of the ashtray (the ashtray is split into 2 sides) with just one switch mounted in the plate but you get the idea - it was already uploaded in another thread and I'm too lazy to go take another

Comment

Originally posted by SarahtheSweet View Post
              If you look on your dash (left of speedo) below fuel gauge there are two cover panels you can mount two illum. toggle switches
              I found those two and have two rocker switches mounted in there now. I'm looking for the more flamboyant type of set up. Wow the crowd type of install. You know, press a lever there and watch a motorized panel lift up with enough lights and switches to make a cockpit of a 777 look dull...I just wanted to see what others had done..

Comment

Originally posted by Custom Coffin Works View Post
                I found those two and have two rocker switches mounted in there now. I'm looking for the more flamboyant type of set up. Wow the crowd type of install. You know, press a lever there and watch a motorized panel lift up with enough lights and switches to make a cockpit of a 777 look dull...I just wanted to see what others had done..
                You mean something like interior of this 1960 Caddy Hearse?

Comment

I like the last one, but if you want to make it look like a Boeing, you have to in two Windows computer screens that make your whole electrical system go dead when they blue screen.

-denise (always coy, but seldom wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by EvilManor View Post
                    You mean something like interior of this 1960 Caddy Hearse?
                    SWEET! WAS THAT THE TERMINATOR FROM PHOENIX ARIZONA?!?! I remember cruising Central Ave back in the 80's and this big black hearse would set up behind a McDonalds and blast people away with his car. Best was when he would play a Michel Jackson "Movie Disk". I remember hearing about when he had someone go into cardiac arrest after the sound bite of a heart he had playing (from a MJ song I think) stopped. Never found out if it was true but made for a great urban legend. Any more of those pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Custom Coffin Works View Post
                      SWEET! WAS THAT THE TERMINATOR FROM PHOENIX ARIZONA?!?! I remember cruising Central Ave back in the 80's and this big black hearse would set up behind a McDonalds and blast people away with his car. Best was when he would play a Michel Jackson "Movie Disk". I remember hearing about when he had someone go into cardiac arrest after the sound bite of a heart he had playing (from a MJ song I think) stopped. Never found out if it was true but made for a great urban legend. Any more of those pics?
                      Yeah that's from the Terminator. If you click on the image I posted it's a link to the article/page I borrowed from.

Comment

That was built by an employee at MTX when they were a big stereo company. The main factory was a couple of miles from my work.

Here's the link

Comment

I'm a fan of flip open armrests with switches like what ryan has in his, the flip up red covered switches hiding inside. Kinda gives the whole james bond feel to the car.

Comment

Those flip-up switches were designed for aircraft, and you can get them at Spruce, or any parts store. You can tell the quality aircraft switches by the hole in the bottom. It is designed to safety switches with copper wire, such as the ones that blow the fire bottles. You don't want to flip them by accident, but you do want to be able to break the wire in an emergency.

...and that's what I think of you, flip-up switches.

-denise

Comment

Working...
                            X