61 Superior conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Superior conversion

Well, I know I have some work ahead, but I had to buy this thing.
    Its a 61 Superior RV Conversion and is titled as such. I would love to know the history of this beast if anyone can help on that.
    Who knows what it will end up looking like, but it sould be a blast getting there.
    The original part of the car is absolutly pristine inside, but I would love to know where to get the front clip parts for this???

I will be redoing the box compleatly as well.

If anyone could show me the way, I would appreciate it much.

Absolutly the coolest thing at the campgrounds!
    Welcome to the board!

Comment

are u going to turn it back into a coach??

Comment

If I recall right, some RV manufacters made these on coach frames. And some were converted from hearses. If yours says it is a Superior, then most likely it was converted. You will need to check for a tag from the company that did the conversion. Usually on the outside in the back. That time period it will most likely be a metal emblem or plaque like they used to use from the new car dealers. If you can find that info, it will be much easier to find out more info on the compant and/or car.

Comment

Front clip parts? Fenders and hood you're relegated to '61-'62 hearse, ambulance, flower car, or limo parts. While the fenders interchange, the top trim holes do not.

I recently learned the difference. (Thanks Larry!) Starting in '61, passenger car windshields changed. Since the '59 wrap around windshield was used until '64 on procars ('65 on limos), the sheetmetal had to be modified. The back curvature of the hood was changed. The top inside edges of the fenders along the hood are 2" wider than stock. Where the fenders curve under behind the front wheels are longer as well.

Doesn't look like you need much. I do know where this '61 parts limo is sitting in TX:

Where are you located?

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Glad to be here.

Looks like I found a good spot for some good advice.

To answer a few questions, yes it is a 1961 Superior Hearse. No I'm not even going to try to make it back into a coach. Beautiful car though!

After much thought, and being stuck on the RV idea, I will be reinforcing and extending the frame by at least 6 feet. I will be adding a lift axle behind the drive axle. I will HAVE to change out the engine because it will never pull that weight, so I'm thinking a Dodge diesel, and running gear... maybe. It will have a bump out on the driver side, a deck on the roof for 5 or 6 people. I would LOVE to find a De ville rear end and cut about 2 feet off and mount to the rear with working lights, and have it flip down to expose the grille and surface area for food prep.
            It was and will be self sufficient and accommodate 6 adults when compleated.

I do think I can save the fenders and hood. The wheel wells are perfect as is the dash and cab, just missing the chrome piece for the front of the hood and the Caddy emblem on the hood. I need both sides of the front bumper where the fog lights are. I have yet to see if the lenses will polish up or not.

Other that that, I think I did ok for 700 bucks.....??

So IF I go Diesel, Should I sell the 390 and tranny and rear end?..... Hey, I didn't hack it up, I'm just improving on a hack job someone else did. haha

But My goal is to have THE COOLEST RV EVER!!...... EVER I said!

Thanks Y'all, glad to be here..... if you'll still have me, knowing I have a hacked up Caddy... haha

Comment

Cool as hell. Adding the extra weight, I'd look into the suspension being able to support the weight. Probably wanna go with a 6 lug set up. Convert to disk brakes up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Possmguts View Post
                But My goal is to have THE COOLEST RV EVER!!...... EVER I said!
                Did a double take when passing this in the TX panhandle a couple weeks back:

Pretty effin' cool RV! Tough to top.

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
                  Did a double take when passing this in the TX panhandle a couple weeks back:

Pretty effin' cool RV! Tough to top.
                  Atti I do believe that is a Spartan set on a motor home chassis. Learned about these when I was hustling vintage Airstream campers! They may have made motor homes but i've never seen one & can't imagine the swing that rear end must have, look how forward the rear axle is! The styling screams Spartan AND it does have windshield wipers so it must be a factory motor home... cool find Atti

Comment

What started life as a trailer was placed on a bus chassis @ some point. '55-'57 Chevy/GMC is my guess.

Comment

what an ass load of work

Comment

Ok, I just had a quick question while reading this that really isn't related to the post but I found immensely useful.

Just to clarify, if I am looking for a windshied for my 63, and hearse/limo windshield from 59 to 64 (65 if it is a limo) will work? Can you confirm that?

Out of curiosity, what about back glass?

Comment

Correct for the windshield.

Back glass: Coach builder specific. '63 S&S right? Major redesigns came in '65 across the board. '64 S&S will also work as the bodies were near identical. Perhaps earlier, perhaps later...no real way of knowing without taking measurements.

Comment

Nice! That helps out a lot. I'd like to try to find a parts car for mine. I'd like to have a backup windshield and back glass just to CYA; but I wouldn't mind having extra other things as well like doors or chrome in case something bad happens.

The primary thing for me right now is the windshield. The roof line around the windshield is horrible and the friend I have working on it asked a friend of his who has been doing auto glass for decades if he thought they could get the windshield out without breaking it. The guy basically told him no. So that scares me. Plus, the seal around the windshield is horrible and I don't know if it would have to come out to be able to repair that, etc.

I realize I am totally hijacking this thread and I apologize but I appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Comment

Update

Ok guys and Gals, first of all... that thing you posted on page one... that big chrome trailer/bus thing, might have me... haha that thing is so sweet.

I've been hard at work and I have the camper off and burned.. haha
                              We are down to what they left of the hearse, and I have to say, its in great shape.
                              I pulled the left fender and hood off a while ago and will get the the passenger side in a bit, but she is in great shape... I think anyway.
                              Original floors are solid, with no holes, if anything I might just need a driver side fender. BUT if I have to find one of those, (and I wont) in good shape, I will go with the 59 front clip. I understand that will work? Plus it looks better with the more detail in the fenders.
                              I working on my fab guy to not rob me so we can get it blasted and welded up to handle the new camper.

Im designing a much more rounded box to match the car body better than that square box it had.
                              Here are the pics of where I was a while ago.... I now have the fenders and hood almost all off as I said.

Oh yeah.... what would cause the exhaust manafold on the driver side to crack?
                              What would the engine be worth if I sold it?

Comment

Working...
                              X