500, w/ auto tranny to 454ci w/ manual tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500, w/ auto tranny to 454ci w/ manual tranny

I have a 1975 Cadillac MM hearse with the 500ci engine with a 3sp tranny. I dont know any specs for the tranny, I just know that it sucks on the highway. I am looking for a 454ci engine with a 5 or 6sp manual tranny. I already know I will have to modify some things and get a cylinder for the clutch pedal and stuff. I will worry about that later. Right now I am trying to find someone with the engine/tranny combo for sale for a reasonable price first. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

I don't think the transmission would bolt straight in - the BOPC bellhousing is different. Personally I'd leave the 500 in there, get some heads off of an earlier year car and get the compression up, slap a decent grind cam and an intake on and roll out. If you want to get into a Tremec or any kind of 5 speed, you'd probably want to check out the adapter kit.

I'd love to have a 5 or 6 speed in my car, but the cheaper/easier route to add another gear is to do a 700R4 or a 4L60 and an adapter kit.

Comment

So youd keep it an automatic? I don't mind doing that, I guess I was just thinking about a different kind of ride. I don't hear of too many manual tranny hearses out there. It's kinda been a dream to have a manual hearse.

Comment

You'd have to find a front sump pan for the 454. A lot of screwing around. M/T flywheels are available for the Caddy eng. but the end of the crank must be machined for a pilot bearing. They do make bolt on external O/D units. Not cheap but they might solve your problem.

Comment

I'll be honest, I have no clue what that means

Comment

My brother was just telling me about a mutual friend that has some Cadilliac standard transmission adapter stuff.....
            How deep are your pockets?

Comment

Cool info I've come across studyin' up on my '57 472 swap.......

Comment

A bangin' manual trans in a hearse would be the cats ass. But you are gonna need some mechanical background or lots of money to pay someone to do it. I love making Frankenstein creations myself, but you better dig in for the long haul because the devil is in the details.

Comment

I haven't known a 4l60 to hold up behind a 472/500 unless it has a lot of work.

I always wanted to do a 4l80 swap... or an over/underdrive unit from http://www.gearvendors.com/

Comment

I'm I the only one that is scratching their head when he says it sucks on the highway? What are you hoping to accomplish? 200mph? I personally have had my '72 commercial chassis hearse's 120 mph spedo buried on the highway and still climbing. Granted I put a beefier cam, intake & carb and some headers on mine but still. My car doesn't even start to really shine until around 30-35 mph with the gearing in it.

You do realize what you are asking your power plant to do at highway speeds? I mean, the car weighs an easy 6000 - 6500 lbs and is about as aerodynamic as a parachute.

Comment

What are the RPM's your pulling at 75? Close to 3,000 and you should look into different rear end gears. Keep the 500, do some eng mods.

Comment

I'm not sure what exactly "sucks".

What exactly are you unhappy with? Are the rpm's too high on the freeway?
                        Gas mileage? (I hope you aren't complaining about that lol)

As far as cosmetics, there are some cool floor shifter kits for automatics. A B&M megashifter would be a cool look.

I can tell you 1st hand, engine swaps are not easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X