Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly idea for a inexpensive "top" alternative.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly idea for a inexpensive "top" alternative.

I've been looking for different ways to cover the top of my hearse inexpensively. I know alot of people go the truck liner route, and I was trying to find something similar that wouldn't cost quite as much.

Me and my stepdad were talking and he mentioned this stuff..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Its technically designed for houses, but I saw that alot of people use it on motor homes.. Apparently it will reduce "heat" which is always good. And its supposed to be ridiculously durable and resistant to the elements. My stepdad said it had a similar texture to truck liner, depending on how thick you put it on.

You can get a gallon of it for 20 bucks or so, and use a roller to roll it on. I don't know if it comes any color other than white.. due to the "cooling" properties but if you wanted a inexpensive durable white top....

My hearse is never gonna be a full on restore, just gonna have fun driving it until I can afford a nicer one.. so I was debating tossing some of this stuff on my top to seal it.

I did some googling, and here's someone who painted it on top of a school bus they are converting to a motor home.. pretty cool and doesn't look bad at all.

Last edited by Joseph Lavender; 05-31-2011, 07:45 AM.

What color is the rest of the car?

Comment

I would rather do the roll on bedliner kit from the auto parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
        I would rather do the roll on bedliner kit from the auto parts store.
        I would be very careful about using roll on bedliner. If you don't get the right kind water will get under. Had a friend that had it put on her's and in let than a week it had rust coming through it.

Comment

How much does it cost to have Rhino Liner or someone like that spray it on?

Comment

I had the same question. Was going to contact a local off-road shop and see what they'd charge, but would like to be able to compare it to some other estimates...

Comment

i hear its around 600.00 or thats what it cost on the 78 i have.. nice job it out lasted the car and that was linex

Comment

Originally posted by northgahearse View Post
                i hear its around 600.00 or thats what it cost on the 78 i have.. nice job it out lasted the car and that was linex
                That's exactly what I payed for my 73 to have Line-X sprayed. It might be different at each place, I think they are independently owned. I was quoted $800, but when I got back to pick Her up the man said "How much did I tell you", I told him $800. Then he said "how about $600". Then I got $25 back for a mail in rebate.

Comment

Hay man given the problem you have with that rotted roof , after you fill in those holes i would go with Mohawk's idea . Like in the school bus pick. You can always just roll on some other color paint after you put that on. Don't go crazy with pro sprayed on liners , because you don't know how long that roof of yours will hold up.

Comment

Line-X here wanted $550 + tax for My 1/2 roof, so I shot Mine My self with Gravi-tex and came out ok, going to do the same on the 75. Only deal it does dull and have to hit it with hot shine once in a while.

Comment

Here's one from Dr. Ghetto's make it work department: Aerosol rubberized undercoating. Easy to apply, and if you let it dry thoroughly it's durable and won't be messy to touch.

Comment

boo, rotted roof.... I'm afraid of what I'll find if i rip the rest of the top off anyway...

Comment

Here is a similar product to the one in the original post.

This weekend my stepdad used my pole barn to paint the roof of his bus while I was gone. He works in the paint department at The Andersons, which is a regional "General Store" that is about the size of your average K-Mart. What he ended up settling on is a product called "Gacoroof" roof paint, which is a very durable but pliable silicone based paint. I was playing around with some of the product that got spilled here and there, and it is completely flexible like silicone gasket material, yet it was still difficult to dent with a fingernail, even only a day after it was applied.

It is designed to be applied to flat horizontal surfaces, so it will take a little practice to get it to cover correct on a vertical side panel, but it can be done. It also works better when applied in lower temperatures than regular paint, as it dries REALLY fast in higher temperatures. 60-70 degrees is probably ideal, but it can be applied at any temperature above freezing. In 90 degree temperatures it starts to dry textured as opposed to going on completely flat. You could probably use that fact to your advantage to get the look you want.

Don't remember the per-gallon price off the top of my head, but it was in the same realm as the truck bedliner that people have been using to do black tops.
                          I will update if he runs into any problems down the road with it, but it appears to work pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                          X