59' Engine Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59' Engine Swap?

Ok, so I wanna see if I can tap into the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum.

So the 390 engine in my (girls) 59 Caddy, was long gone when we got it. Well this weekend, my buddy told me of a friend of his that has a 68' 472 with a fresh TH400. Asking price is $400, so I'm gonna buy it regardless.

My question is, does anyone knoe how to tackle this swap, as in what and where will ne to be clearanced, oil pan and manifold suggestions, brake booster clearance, that sorta thing.

From what I understand, its a tight fit and the motor mounts and trans crossmember need relocating/modification. I know the swap is possible I'm just wondering if anyones done it, and what problems I can expect to run into. Some say use a 368/425 oil pan, some say use something else. So again, just hoping someones put a 472 in a 5x's chassis.

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

The motor mounts are in a different location on the block. I have a 63 390 and a hydramatic tranny in Arizona. They will drop right in.

Comment

I think the 59 needs a rear sump oil pan. (my 60 does)

Headers will be a challenge, probably have to stick with manifolds.

Booster should be fine.

Comment

Yea evidently I need an oil pan from a front drive eldorado 368 or 425. That's doable. Found out a little on what needs to be clearanced as far as crossnembers etc. I'll also need a th400 yoke and shorten my shaft. No biggie. Apparently the 472 is longer so fan clearance is an issue. No biggie. I'm excited.

Would anyone be interestes in a, How To: 472/500 to 195x chassis thread??

Comment

I've done this swap a few times...
          You're dead on about the oil pan. Eldorado is the key. Be sure to get the pick-up tube and matching dipstick tubes as well.
          Frame horns can be fabricated out of 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate. The new motor mounts will sit just behind the cross member just inside of the frame rails. Pretty self explanitory once you're there...
          The drive shaft will need to be shortened and the TH400 yoke added. I also use the trans mount flange from a 70's cad and graft it into the original gross member, or just make your own...
          Shift linkage can get interesting, but it's straight forward. Your shift pattern will be off, I had stickers made with the right pattern on them and disassembled my instrument cluster to put it inside.
          You MAY have to put a dent/relief/clearance the passenger side front area of the cross member for oil filter clearance. I've never had to, but it all depends on where you situate things. I usuall get my trans mounted and then build the engine mounts to suit.
          If the fan to radiator clearance becomes an issue, either go with an electric fan, or with a radiator for an air-conditioned '59. The AC radiator fits on the grill side of the core support giving you extra room to make it look stock! Feel free to hit my up if you have questions...

Also, thanks to Atti for calling my attention to this post!

Comment

Couldn't speak first hand about this swap, but in cases of brake booster clearance hydro-boost can be found in many H/D pickups and some 80"s Chevy wagons. It does free up some much needed clearance in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Beladona_13 View Post
              I've done this swap a few times...
              You're dead on about the oil pan. Eldorado is the key. Be sure to get the pick-up tube and matching dipstick tubes as well.
              Frame horns can be fabricated out of 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate. The new motor mounts will sit just behind the cross member just inside of the frame rails. Pretty self explanitory once you're there...
              The drive shaft will need to be shortened and the TH400 yoke added. I also use the trans mount flange from a 70's cad and graft it into the original gross member, or just make your own...
              Shift linkage can get interesting, but it's straight forward. Your shift pattern will be off, I had stickers made with the right pattern on them and disassembled my instrument cluster to put it inside.
              You MAY have to put a dent/relief/clearance the passenger side front area of the cross member for oil filter clearance. I've never had to, but it all depends on where you situate things. I usuall get my trans mounted and then build the engine mounts to suit.
              If the fan to radiator clearance becomes an issue, either go with an electric fan, or with a radiator for an air-conditioned '59. The AC radiator fits on the grill side of the core support giving you extra room to make it look stock! Feel free to hit my up if you have questions...

Also, thanks to Atti for calling my attention to this post!
              Wow, yes Atti thank you for calling Beladona's attention to this post!

Beladona, thank you for this info. This is great. I'm glad I could confirm the eldorado oil pan. Im gonna put a new pump etc while I'm down there. I thought of the pick up tube and screen, but disregarded the dipstick. Thank you. This is why I asked for some input I knew id forget the little details. I heard of the oil filter issue as well. Some have said that you have to use a remote setup, but if I can notch it and fill it in to look like factory cut out I'm game for that. As soon as I get the engine delivered I'm gonna start brain storming. I've got a few TH400 yokes through my parts hoarding step dad. Hes like a warehouse I swear. Once I get the details and big issues worked out I'm gonna start hacking away!! Thanks again. Ill try not to bug you too much but having done this swap, your an invaluble resource id like to take advantage of if possible. lol! Thanks again!!

And Mohawk that's not a bad idea to clear up some space. Word is the booster won't be an issue but I'm still gonna update the brake system with something a touch more modern, that might be the way to go. Thanks!

Comment

It occurs to me now, the 425/368 oil pumps also hug the block a little tighter. Those engines are a gold mine of little stuff that makes conversions easier. Don't throw away the non air pump pulleys off a 425 either. The mounts that bolt to the engine are good to have also. They sit farther back and drop onto the rubber biscuits you find in a Chevy.

Comment

Also remember Your back up lights will be on in low gear.

Comment

Change the neutral safety switch

Comment

I would like to see pics as you go along with this project.
                      I plan to fit a 472 into our 49 Miller eventually, should be a fun project.
                      I have seen a 49 caddy with a 472 in it so I know it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by LMS View Post
                        I would like to see pics as you go along with this project.
                        I plan to fit a 472 into our 49 Miller eventually, should be a fun project.
                        I have seen a 49 caddy with a 472 in it so I know it can be done.
                        I will be taking delivery of said 472 on Saturday. I plan to get the wheels in motion on this swap in the next couple weeks. I thouggt a how to thread would be cool if anyone else is interested. Ill take lots of pics and be as thorough as possible. I'm stoked to get this 59 goin with a cool caddy mill!

Comment

I'd love to see how that unfolds. I seem to recall a youtube video of a guy with a 59 with a big incher in it. He was wailing the tar out of it looking like he was having a blast. You are planning to bake the tires of course?

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawk Freak View Post
                            I'd love to see how that unfolds. I seem to recall a youtube video of a guy with a 59 with a big incher in it. He was wailing the tar out of it looking like he was having a blast. You are planning to bake the tires of course?
                            I sure as hell do plan to bake those bias wide whites unmercilessly....when the ole lady ain't lookin that is...haha!
                            The motor does need a goin over so a nice cam, intake, and carb may be in order. But I'm still nervous about cutting m 5' 2" 98lb ole lady loose with a 5,000 pound, 20ft long caddy, and 500+ ft/lbs of torque...but with bright pink paint every one will see her coming thank god...

Comment

Ok so I sent my mom to where the engine was with the cash. She was to pick it up, and bring it tome tomorrow and spend the day with me as we don't get to see each other much. Well mom builds her own engines. Shes got a 65 GTO, a 68 Tempest, and an 11 second 87 GT mustang. She noticed there was only 2 bolts holding the base pan on, so she asked him to remove it. He said "Oh it was running fine when I took it out its good to go". Finally she said look, take it off or we're done here. This is what she found

Yes that's part of the cam sitting on top. The cam was in a total of 6 pieces.

All 8 connecting rods broke, one of which said, "fuck this I want out", and tried to exit through the block, nearly succeeding

All but 3 push rods bent. Lifters gouged and grenaded, and laying in the base pan, with thea few pieces of cam.

Gentleman appeared stunned when mom told him he was a common asshole for trying to get 400 bones for a grenaded 472. She politely told him to shove it up his ass and have a nice day. Glad my moms a sharp cookie. Saved mea ton of $$$. Worst part is, the guys a police officer. I'm beyond pussed, shes starting to calm down though lol. So the hunt is on for a 472 that's atleast intact. Enjoy the cadillac carnage pics!!

Comment

Working...
                              X