Engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap

Good evening ladies and ghouls. I was wondering if anyone has info on doing an engine swap. I have a 78 S&S Victoria and I was wondering how hard it would be to remove the stock 425 Ci engine and replace it with a Chevy 454 Ci. I have pretty good mechanical skills but no welding or fabrication skills. Can anyone help me out. I don't want to change the engine bay to much because i want to rebuild my Cadillac motor and put it back in eventually. But as you all know it can be hard to find parts for these old caddys. thank you in advance.

If your plan is to rebuild the 425 just do it now, forget the 454.
    The 425 is not hard to find parts for, it's the older ones that are hard.
    You could find another 425 to rebuild, then just swap them out.
    Does the one you have run now?

Comment

Yeah It runs now but it could use a rebuild. Its leaking and burning oil. The carb needs rebuilding and I am pretty sure it could use new gaskets all the way through. It is my daily driver so I can have it done but so long. What about a swapping the trans for one with overdrive, just to get better highway miles. Do you know what transmission will fit with now major mods?

Comment

Does the 425 have have a rear sump pan? The 454 probably does. I'v been considering some type of swap for My 64, but nothing is coming easy.

Comment

The transmission will not bolt up to the Chevy engine w/o an adapter plate. The time you spend putting in the 454, you could have the 425 done and forget it. Or...get a nice 472/500, prep it, put your rear sump pan and oil filter housing on it, and have it going in one weekend. If you are in the northeast, I'll give you a screaming deal on one. It's time to clean out my pack rat shit and dump the funds into my own hearse.

Comment

Mohawk i am in North Carolina. So i depends on how far northeast you are talking about. For the right price I have a truck and trailer. So if you could email me some details. my email is elsnoopy413@yahoo.com. Thanks a big 472 or 500 would be more fun and still be Cadillac.

Comment

The only draw backs I see is that all the performance intake manifolds for 472/500 do not have the casting to bolt the a/c compressor back on and performance 500's can be a real nightmare to keep running cool. I know Kaptin Kaos had a hell of a time.

Engine swaps are no walk in the park but a 454 has a heck of a lot more performance goodies at a better price.

I am going to put a stroked 454 (496) in my 1960 Coupe DeVille. I figure I can make 600 hp for a grand total of $5,000

Comment

Your 60 ought to be close to my 64. We need to stay in touch. I saw a few swaps on modifiedcad boards with 454s. There even is a 64 hearse on ebay with a 454. I just pulled a 2000 454 vortec from my katrina dually, and got a 425 tranny from an old motorhome. We'll start from there. I also have a 572 I pulled from my dragster when I sold it, but too much detuning to use it, but it would be 1 hell of a piece.

Comment

Working...
                X