Hand made bench seat help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand made bench seat help

I know there have been posts on this before, and I have jumped in on those posts, and have also reread them today. However, responses have left my questions unanswered. So the question is how to build them. I have scoured the intertubes in search of some sort of how-to guide and all i can come up with is the building guide for a park bench. I have looked at bigevil's pictures, and constructing the bench part seems easy enough, but what I am lost on is making it not only sittable, but comfortable. Should I slat the whole thing like a park bench then add padding over it. Should I rip apart an old bench seat and run those springs over the bench frame? If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated,

your wanting to build a bench from scratch? Can I ask why? Im new to this board. And local to you with all the welding and machining at my fingertips.

Comment

Hey Cupcake. We met up at Forest Lawn waiting for Nick. I was driving my '88 Buick. I recently bought a '62 Pontiac Star Chief Hearse and it needs a lot of work. On the rear axle hump i want to construct a seat that looks like an open casket. As for you and all your welding equipment and expertise, I will probably be willing to use you if you were up for it. You can see the Pontiac here http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums/showthread.php?8154-Well-quot-The-Bug-quot-bit-me

Comment

Hey Ryan I had heard that you bought that star chief. Nice I would have but no room here. Too much stuff. Should not be too hard. Ive seen couches made from caskets. Id probably get a casket and cut to fit your size requirements then upholster. Happy to help with that or the car.

Comment

Mine were so-so on comfort. It was a 3" padding that I used and compressed it to 2".

The profile was copied from a 2003 corvette. They really cradled your back, just lacked being "springy".

Comment

I was surfing today and saw these 2 pictures.

Having such extreme tastes, you know I got excited over ideas like this.

flame chair.jpg
            angry seats.jpg

Comment

Heh. The flame chair looks like it could be lethal in a whip-lash producing accident, freaking cool looking though. And those skeletal seats look like they might actually be comfortable. However, having completely gutted the interior and finding random little things I a pretty sure that I have discovered this is a combo car. I think I am actually going to restore the back to that. some jump seats will add me some extra seating.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                I was surfing today and saw these 2 pictures.

Having such extreme tastes, you know I got excited over ideas like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10171[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]10172[/ATTACH]
                I was lucky to see this truck recently. Here are some more pictures:
                DSC01244.jpgDSC01247.jpgDSC01245.jpgDSC01246.jpgDSC01243.jpgDSC01241.jpg

Comment

couch.jpg

Comment

Cupcake, I have thought about this and think it would be a great idea

Comment

Working...
                    X