Tinting headlights purple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinting headlights purple

Is there a good way to tint the headlights purple without actually going out and paying $50 a headlight that is tinted purple? I am not in favor of paying $100 in headlights when I may end up converting them eventually to the brighter bulbs.

I can offer this idea. I'm not sure if it would work or not but you might be able to give it a try...

The front side marker bulbs for my '72 are a 97A. The "A" stands for amber. Well I needed to replace one and went to the local auto parts store. What I found was I could buy 97 clear all day long but no 97A. I got online and found that the 97A for the most part was discontinued. I did find a couple of places that had them, but they were pretty expensive not to mention adding shipping to the cost. Anyway, I went to my local Michaels craft store and found some orange glass paint that was made for creating stained glass windows without all the cutting and soldering of the real thing. This paint is designed to be brushed on then baked to cure.

So, I bought a couple of 97 clear bulbs, painted them with the orange glass paint. I didn't bother baking them as the bulb gets plenty hot enough on it's own. And just like that I had 97A bulbs for my marker lights.

This same idea could possibly work for your headlights.

Comment

I plan on using purple glass paint on my bumper fog lights as well. Not because of price though. Lenses have simply never been made.

Buy the purple headlights for $100, stop trying to penny pinch, and be done with it. If there comes a point in time you upgrade further, sell them. How much would you really be out..?

Comment

But do purple high beams shine through darkness? I'd still like to be able to use them to see, so I am weighing whether they are useful besides the cosmetic look.

Comment

They are just for show, and are illegal as hell to be used anytime other than during a procession. Amber is the only color allowed on the front of a car. They don't give off any kind of light to help you see when driving, they just look cool. Here's my '67 M-M with them (still have the bulbs, sold the coach)

Comment

Krylon makes a transparent "candy" paint designed to go over chrome or polished metal. Available at Wal-Mart

Comment

I thought there was a better thread on this, guess I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Guy View Post
                http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...9-light-covers

I thought there was a better thread on this, guess I was wrong.

There is but i think it trailed off from a different title subject. I can't think of the subject tho ...

Comment

Maybe I will just see about finding some chrome covers then. Btw Scary, I bought a couple of brand new Funeral flags on e-bay today for $10 a piece. They look good compared to the ones I have now which are torn to hell lol

Comment

I've been thinking about this too...I was gonna try paint, not cuz I'm cheap but because I'm broke lol. I'm afraid of getting pulled over with em tho. If anyone trys paint post some pics so we can see how it turns out. Probly never look as nice as the ones from say hearseclub tho.

Comment

Paint bubbles and burns. It doesn't hold up to the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothNlow View Post
                        I've been thinking about this too...I was gonna try paint, not cuz I'm cheap but because I'm broke lol. I'm afraid of getting pulled over with em tho. If anyone trys paint post some pics so we can see how it turns out. Probly never look as nice as the ones from say hearseclub tho.
                        The set I still have were sprayed with a semi-transparent coating of some kind. They were on the '67 for many years. There has to be a rattle can-type spray to do this? The coating on mine looks like it may be 1mm thick

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                          Is there a good way to tint the headlights purple without actually going out and paying $50 a headlight that is tinted purple? I am not in favor of paying $100 in headlights when I may end up converting them eventually to the brighter bulbs.
                          Hearseclub purple lights are $23/$25 a piece so thats only $50 a pair. I ve used the glass paint stuff on windows for work and it seems ok. Worth a try before you buy I guess

Comment

Working...
                          X