air pump delete, cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air pump delete, cheap

Did the air pump delete on my 72 today. No not the $250 MTS kit, I used all cadillac parts. It removes the pump and tubes and changes it from 4 belts to 2 to run everything. If anyone is interested I can do a write up and help with parts. I figured why pay $250 for a kit when you can use factory parts and not spend much.

yes please

Comment

me too!

Comment

+1!

Comment

This is for cadillac 368-425-472-500 motors up to 1975 as removing the air pump on a
          1976 or later would be illegal in smog inspection states.

Bascially it just swappping the water pump and crank pully with the new ones.
          This places the groove for the water pump inline with the alternator thus running
          one belt instead of two. And also removes one of the a/c and power steering belts
          (if you have a dual belt system). The 75 and up I think already have a single a/c,
          power steering belt.

Disconnect the battery negative.

Start by slacking and removing all the belts. Remove the top of the fan shroud. Remove the fan
          and water pump pully. Remove the crank pully being careful not to drop the balancer if there
          is one. And change timing tab to new one. Its one bolt and sits on a pin on the timing cover.
          The new crank pully has the timing mark in a slightly different place requiring the new tab.
          I think its to place the holder for a magnetic probe in a more accessable location. Dont worry
          your timing wont change or need to be set differently.

To remove the air crossover pipe you will need to remove the power steering pump to get the clip
          off. Place a washer behind the stud so the spacing is still correct when the pump is reinstalled.
          Also remove the alternator. Disconnect the 2 wires from the back. I found the long bolt would not
          come out for it hits the fan shroud. If you remove the 2 bolts in the lower bracket it will all
          come out as one. Some have a small spacer behind the alternator on that long bolt. Becareful
          not to lose it if it falls.

Now remove the air pump, the valve from the alternator bracket and the hoses, along with the
          crossover pipe and clip. Ive looked for plugs for the ports in the head from the crossover pipe.
          And cant find anything. In the future I will make some aluminum plugs for this but for
          now a dime is actually the correct size. Drive them in with a socket and a hammer. You could then
          seal the recess with silicone or JB weld but I havent seen the need to. You can also leave the
          crossover pipe in place but part of the reason I did this was to remove as much as possible.

Now either put the alt, power steering pump and fan back on and tension the belts. Or I opted to
          remove the alt bracket and cut off all the air pump parts but it is not required. To do this you
          will need to jack up the car to hold the bolt for the lower nut, and bracket strut if equipped.
          Reinstall that nut on the bolt and tighten as that is part of the motor mount.

Comment

1.jpg
            This is whats needed, 2 pullys, 2belts and the timing tab

Comment

3.jpg
              Now a single belt runs the AC and power steeringin the forward groove.
              4.jpg
              Here you can see the new belt running the alt and waterpump

Sorry was having trouble posting the pics

Comment

It'd be nice to actually tell us what these parts are off of, and how to get them, instead of putting up another post selling this as a "kit". This isn't a good write up.

"Buy the kit from me, and this is how you install it. . ."

Do you think we're that fucking stupid?!

Sorry, it's just a dick thing to do. I probably would have bought the so-called "kit" from you, powdercoated it to make it look nice and install it, even if you told me what the parts were. Why? Because you already have the parts and I don't have to hunt them down.

But when you do shit like this, fuck it, I'll just go through MTS or leave it be.

Your loss.

Comment

When you have to dig through a pile of pullys with a tape measure to find the right ones, no I dont know exactly what GM they are off of.

Talking shit when you dont know the story is a dick thing to do.

More like your loss buddy, No one wants them no biggie, back into the scrap pile.

Yes you go spend $250 for the same thing. Have a nice day

Comment

How much for a '72?

Comment

The pulleys come off a '70 472.

Comment

Originally posted by spastic_chicken View Post
                        The pulleys come off a '70 472.
                        Lol ok cool thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                          How much for a '72?
                          I have it listed for $60+$8. Im running a new sale. $50 +$8 shipping. Offer not valid in Metro St.Louis

Comment

A 77-79 no-smog 425 is a better parts donor than a '70 no-smog motor, cheaper and easier to find.

Comment

Thank you Morella. I knew someone on here would have thmissing info.

Comment

Working...
                              X