So you want power door locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want power door locks

Because it is a pain to go around and lock all the doors or reach over to unlock the pass door. Ok here you go.
    1.jpg
    On the left is a generic 70's GM power window switch. Works good for locks and has the right look. Center is the late 70's and up power lock motor, right is the early 70's and down lock actuator. Either will work fine they just wire differently. The big early units are direct power the later small unit is relay driven. No biggie either way.
    2.jpg
    No wonder these cars are so heavy. Never seen a solid inner door structure before these. The door lock will mount just aft of the access hole in direct line with the lock knob and rod.
    3.jpg
    View down inside the door. The rod to the left is to the door handle the one down and to the right is to the lock knob. This is where the power rod will attatch.

4.jpg
    Once you figure out where the switch will mount you can cut the hole in the door panel then in the door structure and run the wires.
    5.jpg
    This is the switch mounted in the door panel and ready to put back together and do the rest of the doors. Anyone needs help with the project please let me know

Oops forgot one
    6.jpg
    This is the lock knob rod to the top and the power rod to the bottom. Easy to see how the new power rod just slips over the lock knob rod and is held in with the regular clip

Comment

The other option is to get a car alarm with remote locks/entry installed. A bit more expensive but it will also cut down on your insurance premium if you notify them(off comp and collision specifically). Had it done on my 73 ranchero, and plan on having it done on the coach after I get a car cover. It also helps for those OCD moments when you question whether you locked the car and have to walk back and check(I usually just hit the button, 2way 1mile range is quite nice, standing in a store I can lock or unlock it).

Comment

Yes that works. You can always hook the factory power locks into any alarm. And I like the OEM lock motors better than the aftermarket china ones. Thats just me

Comment

Working...
        X