Newb question. Removable Landau Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb question. Removable Landau Panels

I'd like to fabricate a set of removable landau panels for my 1960 Pontiac hearse. The panels seem easy enough to make, but I have no idea how I'm going to attach them. I've never seen a hearse in real life that has them, only pic on the net. Can anyone help?

Miller Meteor removable panels (which were aluminum) sit in a U channel across bottom and have upper corner threaded mounts. An example (Note plated solid brass thumbscrews in top corners.):

I think MM started offering removable panels in '63 (when their window shapes changed). Superior likewise used a similar system, with U channel across bottom and mounting points higher up. Both MM and Superior had C pillar sail panel fixed to the removable panel.

I've not seen Superior removable panels before '65, and only on Sovereign, not Royale models (meaning closed rear quarters, not having corner windows). On the example below, the (upside down) '59-'60 Superior landau irons are on a '67 Superior's removable panels and are too short. See the 3 mounting points holding panel on? Landau ends should take up two of them, then knurled knob holds upper rear corner.

You DO have a really cool coach as it is already. In order not to detract from Superior's flowing lines if you really have to have removable panels, it is going to look best if you manage to pull off a phantom factory look, imho. This would entail finding C pillar sail panels and landau irons from a '59-'60 Superior Pontiac or Cadillac non-Crown Landaulet to use on them. (Sail panels differ between Superior Cadillac and Superior Pontiac, either would look fine, although Cadillac may not match height/shape of Pontiac roof molding.) This extra effort will show in end result - 'cuz if it looks boogered up it wouldn't have been worth doing.

Here's an awesome '60 Superior Pontiac Landaulet as fodder/inspiration, so you know primarily what to shoot for:

Let me know if any above portion needs explained deeper.
    Last edited by 60Crown; 05-08-2012, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Atti, do you have access to those 63 M&M panels? Yoi know I'm interested.

Comment

Frick. Example shown above is '65-'68 style (off a '67). Yes, I still have them. No, I don't know how close they'll line up for your coach. VeraVoodoo just bought this '63-'64 pair that I pointed her to a couple weeks ago...

Comment

Skaboss, were you looking at my 76 hearse on Ebay by any chance???

Comment

Yes, yes I was. Beautiful car, too

Comment

Yea, I would have gone with the 60 too though, 58-60 are my favorite year Pontiacs. Enjoy your new ride!

Comment

Just wondering how to determine a landau bar is upside down. I've compared that pic with others on here and to my untrained eye, the bar appears to be in the same orientation as the others.

Comment

Round landau center element does not evenly split center of the bar. The 'bulk' of the design should be below the center line; not above it. Visually heavy the way it is currently installed. Clear indicator of being upside down.

This rule holds true across the board for basically all landau irons (when not symmetrical) and has only a couple exceptions.

Comment

Ah, I see it now. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X