red federal beacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red federal beacon

SO! i found a red federal beacon in a local antique shop today. looked to be in good condition. $150.

The value can vary as much as $300 based on the model number. Do you know what the tag said? How many lamps inside it?

Comment

Honestly i didn't look at it that closely. seemed like it may have been one lamp.

Comment

I did not think it was legal to run red lights??? maybe just here in Ohio. State Troopers all blue Sheriffs red and blue citys vary

Comment

Often they are permitted on classic/specialty/parade/show vehicles so long as they are not illuminated when the vehicle is in motion (outside parades and such)
          Some jurisdictions prohibit them regardless if they are lit or not.

On another note, eBay often deletes auctions of vintage "bubblegum machine" style lights with red domes because supposedly the general public does not know they went out of active service 20+ years ago.

Comment

Red lights here are for fire. There are a lot of volunteer firefighters that have red lights on there vehicles. Blue lights are police.

Comment

One lamp is probably a model 14, which had a single bulb with a rotating assembly with 4 lenses in it that rotated around it.

This comes up from time to time the "Beacon Ray" numbers are as follows:

#14 = Junior Beacon Ray, as described above
              #17 = 2 bulbs which rotate 360 degrees
              #173 = 3 bulbs which rotate 360 degrees
              #174 = "Super" Beacon Ray, 4 bulbs which oscillate back and forth through 100 degrees or so
              #175 = Beacon Ray "Hill Light", 4 bulbs that rotate 360 degrees, one bulb is tilted up around 30 degrees or so, and another is tilted down 5 degrees, for better visibility to cars approaching on hills
              #176 = 4 bulbs which rotate 360 degrees

In order of "unobtainability" - 174, 175, 176, 173, 17/14 Nice condition 174 goes for $400+, decent 17/14's can be had for $120 or less.

Comment

Working...
              X