'39 LaSalle Cathedral Carved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '39 LaSalle Cathedral Carved

Few months ago I caught wind of a '39 Cathedral Carved just outside Mexico City and assumed that it was one previously discussed, or 'found' - possibly one that had traded hands already and offered for sale again.

Wrong. This is a THIRD.

Two taxi drivers (Victor and Jaime) always looking for old bikes and hearses for me finally met up with the owner. Driver's only spare sidemount quickly separated this one from the other two '39s with duals. Details:

-Never rusted.
    -Never modified.
    -Probably original paint.
    -Complete down to the hubcaps.
    -Interior in great shape.
    -$1700 US just spent on 5 new WWW tires not yet mounted.
    -Running, driving, with a DAILY vintage plate.
    -Full paperwork accompanies.

The owner would not allow any pictures by Victor or Jaime (not that uncommon actually, given the high theft rate). He did however provide them 3 35mm printed pictures for the time being:

Advertised price is 290,00 pesos and he agreed to 275,00 if someone wants this. 5000 pesos apiece to Victor and Jaime for their time, and I have a friend that will fly 450 miles and personally handle the transaction and arrange all logistics all the way through customs (his specialty) into the US for $1k. That makes the overall price $21k. Seems quite fair even given the economy for this condition - although finding a buyer in that price range on this forum would surprise me.

Couple notes: Seller said that with a 35,000 peso deposit he would let "all the photo shoots you want". So if you need time to get money together, a deposit and contract may work.

Also, license plates around Mexico City are expensive and quite limited to assist with a major pollution issue (20 million people). Some plates can only be driven on Tuesdays for example. Others can not be driven on Saturdays - you get the idea. Each is stepped up in price. This '39 has current vintage daily plates which means a couple things: They cost the equivalent of $700-800 annually which is a LOT of money there. Nobody would spend that sort of money without actually using the vehicle frequently - which lends credibility to the claimed road worthiness.

Amazing coach.

Comment

That coach is beyond amazing! Not to sound like the PCS, but I hope who ever does buy it doesn't alter it in any way (except for maybe new tires, ect). That coach is waaaay to rare and beautiful to be altered. If I had it, I wouldn't even put a CD player in it. Oh, and even with the high teft rate there, I don't think anyone would be able to go far unnoticed in such an 'unusual' car. Kinda makes me think about that guy who robbed a bank and used a Gremlin as a get-a-way car.

Comment

What kind of risk is involved or how high, with this type of transaction?

Comment

Good question and one that is quite broad - allow me to address.

Americans are typically leery of vehicles coming out of Mexico. How exactly this started - I do not know. But the perception that Mexico=bad heavily weighs what nominal risks there actually are.

Is it possible that your money will disappear? If you want to go rogue and skip proven safeguards in place, who knows. Using a legit, reputable 3rd person or company to handle the transaction ensures that you will either receive the vehicle with agreed upon stipulations or your money back.

The gentleman I have used for a few years now and highly recommend knows the Mexican culture like the back of his hand. He may not be the only one providing such a service, obviously. Highly respectful, very professional, extremely efficient. His depth of international logistics is icing on the cake. In fact, he even uses a US bank account for buyers here.

I'll take 1st person interaction (with more references available) over hearsay any day. Meaning risk would go up with the loss of comfort level on using an 'unproven' identity. Not as simple as a gringo going in and buying for himself, typically speaking. Different culture and different way of life. To Mexicans, all Americans have money. Prices go up immediately.

Transport risk also increases if a buyer wanted to handle this himself. Which company to use? Who is reasonably priced and reliable? You don't want a rare part falling off a transporter! Same questions one asks here Stateside. The difference? Information in Mexico is not readily available to make educated decisions. Going through a third party virtually eliminates these risks. Also nullified is the false pretense of greasing pockets along the way. There are crap neighborhoods but warring drug cartels aren't going to come find you.

Another frequently heard point is the horror of border crossing. Simply is NOT true! With or without paperwork I've never heard of an AMERICAN made vehicle being denied re-entry into the US. Yes, there will be protocol - which may include drug search. Not smuggling? Everything on the up and up? No worries. Also note that there is no tariff or import tax repatriating. I've personally brought vehicles in through Niagara, Buffalo, Detroit, and Laredo. (I've also imported several 40' containers of cars and motorcycles mainly from Sweden a decade ago and have a very good grasp of the process.) Laredo and San Diego are the two main crossing points from Mexico. In each of these cities, there are car enthusiast friends that own businesses and can provide free short term storage to help a buyer out also. Good guys! Note: Missing paperwork is easy to obtain in Mexico - it just takes a little time.

The numbers of vintage American iron heading overseas from Mexico is high. Unless on the coast, cars are typically rust free. Hot rods to Australia and New Zealand. Side servicing funeral coach to the Philippines. Kustoms and '50s finned cars to Scandinavia. Motorcycles go everywhere. 20-somethings in Eastern Europe are sucking up mid-late '60s convertibles in a growing trend. Even French Canadians have a current desire for late '40s GM based Mexican style bombs. The point? They're taking advantage of our low American dollar and using that to offset high shipping and import tariffs. They don't seem to mind the risk. Again, different mentalities and cultures.

I took the time for such a verbose response to help quell misinformation. Coaches are one of my passions. Not looking for personal gain. I personally think risks are exceptionally low and look forward to every time something turns up in Mexico that I can't live without - while being able to afford, natch. Being addicted to the thrill of the chase is wonderful. My view is from one that has done this a number of times however. Often American arrogance (generally speaking and myself a victim) clouds judgment. Information being s l o w in Mexico is a blessing in disguise. It is for this very reason that quality iron has survived this long and Americans should be capitalizing.

One last thing to consider. Maybe I'm out on a limb here but an aspect of cool schtuff in Mexico never ceases to amaze me. Every Mexican I've seen in the US has had exceptionally poor taste. How is it that back home they have such good taste in vehicles????? Unreal!
          Last edited by 60Crown; 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM.

Comment

As an aside, I thought that I would give the new "friends of the PCS" forum an unbiased chance and posted this ad there a day after here, almost identical.

Deleted.

No 'rules' broken. No email. No reason given.

New website, same look, same mentality. Let's hope those egocentric old codgers stay wrapped up in themselves there. Silly me for trying to post a *fresh* hearse lead to an alleged like-minded professional car demographic. Must have been 'off-topic'.
            Last edited by 60Crown; 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X