Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '60 Miller Meteor

Yeah for baby steps.

This is the '60 that I first heard about as a '59 ambulance in Mexico about 6 months ago. The owner's teenage son didn't want him to sell previously and it was only available via trade. Without pics? It went to the back burner - along with so many others already there.

Change of heart, I guess. Now he's indicated selling and provided these 2 35mm print pics (then emailed) for the time being. I was asked about value and did not answer that baited question. Full set of new pics have been promised within the next couple weeks, so consider this a head's up.

Good:

- Great clean body, super solid, good overall condition. Absolutely rust free and always has been.

- Newer paint.

- Chrome and stainless all very good. Couple small moldings have not been placed back on since paint yet (side mirrors too?).

- All glass is blemish and crack free. Gaskets are supple and there are no leaks.

- Interior and attendant's seats very good condition.

- Turnkey, running, driving, licensed. Owner even suggested flying in and driving home.

- All paperwork included.

Bad:

- Paint still needs color sanding.

- Has a 350/350 combo recently professionally transplanted from a '90s Suburban. Owner has tired original 390 still, needs rebuilt, and he prefers to keep it.

Can't vouch for any of the above info. Will have a better grasp after seeing additional pics. Owner always refers to this as an ambulance. Certainly the forward hinged doors lend to that but without tunnel lights or apparent frosted glass my guess is combination.

Looks like a Superior Royale after enlarging the pic. If it turns out being a Crown...forget I ever posted this!

No, I don't have a price yet. Figure under $10k including transport to the US but it may be half that. The owner actually has money - unlike a typical Mexican. If I wasn't occasionally inquiring he'd 'prolly just let it sit.

Maybe Kearney would be happy with this '60?

60 hearse

Hi Atti, Looks good from the first 2 pictures. look forward to see the rest when you get them! Great detective work!!! Would it come from Mex direct to your house?
    Mike

Comment

The only way it would come to my house is if it turns out being a Crown - then it wouldn't leave!

There is a hot rod shop in Laredo, TX (less than 4 hours from me) that has acted as a staging area before for logistics on vehicles coming out of Mexico into the US. The '60 is a 2.5 day drive to Laredo, 3 day drive to San Diego. I've mentioned before that car carriers frequently travel empty to those two US entry points, transporting used trucks back full. As such, reasonable rates northbound ensue. $500-800 range.

Comment

Atti, Is the Crown version of the Superior Royale different then the regular Superior? Make it more valuable?
        Mike
        mikekearney@windstream.net

Comment

Superior Royale limo:

Superior Crown Royale limo:

Superior Royale Landaulet:

Superior Crown Royale Landaulet:

Crown have up-and-over molding and canted 'C' pillars predominantly.

Comment

God damn, those are sexy coaches!

Comment

brain fart...Miller Meteor!

Disregard subtitle. Unable to edit.

I love this board - and the knowledge contained therein, both registered and lurkers alike.

Was told multiple times before seeing pics that it is a Superior. Not so much!!! After enlarging to 800% and looking for a Crown the obvious was omitted. Someone was kind enough to point out today that the doors don't extend into the roof (Superior Cadillac did, Superior Pontiac did not).

Now I am thoroughly confused after staring at dozens of pics comparing for the last hour!

Drip rails are too low to be ANY of the 4 dominant coach builders. Drip rail height matches that of CB and Superior Pontiac, neither of which match the side glass curve nor height.

Only vehicle that matches the flat top edge of the door glass is a limo. 'Cept a limo has a flatter roof curve.

Side glass moldings do not match S&S or Eureka.

In fact, the windshield height looks suspect - doesn't even appear to be commercial glass. Station wagon a possibility? S&S only made a handful and again - glass moldings don't match.

Where the hell is the vent window? Is there an optical illusions hiding it from sight?

I have yet to see ANY '59/'60 Cadillac procar with drip rails lining up with the vertical portion of the windshield. (Okayokay...a 2 Door McClain flower car doesn't count!) This '60 looks like it has the roof from a Flxible Buick.

Obviously a full photo set will definitively reveal the correct answers - which should happen within the next two weeks. Until then, thoughts..?
              Last edited by 60Crown; 09-26-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

This IS a Miller Meteor after all! Cary L is a genius. Turns out MM had a design change sometime through the '60 model year on limo style coaches only, that stayed through '64.

Crank up those ecto sirens. Hear the paranormal activity buzzing???

Comment

Spoke with the owner today. 8-9 additional pics have been taken. Says his son may scan and email them in the next day or so. Stoked to see more of this coach~

Comment

Looks like a limo to me. Maaaaaybe a M&M Combo, but it looks most like a limo hiding under that tree.

Is this the 60 you had mentioned to me before?

-Been REALLY looking for 59 and 60's again... might have to sell my recent aquisition.

Comment

MM in '61 changed limo style combinations and endloaders to not having those door extensions. Had I paid closer attention to anything post-'60, this would have been a no brainer. Cary proposed the change actually occurred sometime through the '60 model year, then found a couple pics to back it up:

Door extensions were reserved for 3-ways and high tops, both of which needed the extra side opening height. Cost cutting measure makes logical sense.

This is not the one I mentioned to you previously Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by hearseboy View Post
                        Looks like a limo to me. Maaaaaybe a M&M Combo, but it looks most like a limo hiding under that tree.

Is this the 60 you had mentioned to me before?

-Been REALLY looking for 59 and 60's again... might have to sell my recent aquisition.
                        What's up Jeff?!?!?! Been a while...

Comment

Ahh yea, M&M Limo Combo!
                          -Glad you posted those pics, I was too lazy to go too my old "black book" and check.

Yes, I know I'm never around, but I making an effort to make an appearance now and then (been lost in school and work, for some time now).

For your viewing pleasure... my recently acquired 1948 Cadillac Miller hearse (w/ custom bits).

ENJOY!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like original color was Norman(?) Grey overall.

There is a '55 Chevy panel blocking it in which is to be moved by this weekend. These are all the pics for now.

Comment

59!

Nice car, this is the one you were talking about. Any idea on $$.??
                              I went to Denver and looked at the 60 Crown Royal Not bad but too much major body rust for an old guy like me to deal with. Hey, any idea where I can get a right rear quarter panel for my 60 - 62 2 dr hard top? Fender is crumpled!My right rear fender!
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X