Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 501 Cadillac Hearse Motor For Sale

Hi,

I own a 1976 Cadillac hearse that I'm about to sell for scrap (the roof has rusted through and is beginning to leak). I would love for someone who can use it to have the motor, which is a 501 big-block. It needs some transmission repair, but the belts and hoses were brand-new when the hearse stopped running.

If you're interested in the motor, let me know. I live in the Birmingham, Alabama, area. If you'd like to pick up the motor, I'm willing to let it go cheap, as long as it winds up in the hands of someone who can get some use out of it.

Thanks!

LOL @ 501 and LOL @ "Big Block". Are you sure its a 472 and not a "500"? Do you know how to tell the difference?

Comment

I believe it is a 500 engine.

Comment

If the coil is on the distributor cap, it's a 500, if it's on the block with a wire, it's a 472 - Also 472's had dual belts on the AC/Power steering pump.

Comment

pm sent

all my 472s have the coil on the distributor cap.. hehehe

Comment

Regardless of what size engine it ends up being - thank you for taking the time to register and offer it here.

If I were closer it would go in the '58. Undertak8184 is in the vicinity if northgahearse doesn't snag first.

Comment

Thank you to all who responded (well, almost all). I was told it was a 501, but apparently the seller was mistaken. I bought it to haul band equipment, and it was great while it lasted. Hope it can be of some use to someone!

Comment

this is what the 501 is all about

its a emissions thing maybe a california car.

but i have a 74 472 that has the 501 sticker on the rocker covers

and this pic shows its a 500 ci
                Attached Files

Comment

As far as General Motors goes. Coil in cap is Electonic Ignition or HEI (High Energy Ignition). The coil mounted separately with a coil wire is a breaker point ignition.
                  The change from points to HEI came in '75.

Comment

Originally posted by Highbars View Post
                    As far as General Motors goes. Coil in cap is Electonic Ignition or HEI (High Energy Ignition). The coil mounted separately with a coil wire is a breaker point ignition.
                    The change from points to HEI came in '75.
                    I believe in Cadillac it started in 74, but only some had HEI. In 75 all had HEI.

Comment

Originally posted by BrkfstClub72 View Post
                      Hi,

I own a 1976 Cadillac hearse that I'm about to sell for scrap (the roof has rusted through and is beginning to leak). I would love for someone who can use it to have the motor, which is a 501 big-block. It needs some transmission repair, but the belts and hoses were brand-new when the hearse stopped running.

If you're interested in the motor, let me know. I live in the Birmingham, Alabama, area. If you'd like to pick up the motor, I'm willing to let it go cheap, as long as it winds up in the hands of someone who can get some use out of it.

Thanks!
                      I hope you are going to ship the hearse before you sell it for scrap. There are a lot of things that are hard to find for older hearses. If the glass is good take it out, especially the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                        I believe in Cadillac it started in 74, but only some had HEI. In 75 all had HEI.
                        Yes you could be correct Cadillac was usually first to try new technology and probably did use HEI in a few models in '74, I didn't work in a Caddy dealer till '79. I stand corrected..Here..

Comment

Originally posted by BrkfstClub72 View Post
                          Hi,

Thanks!
                          Hi !

Do you still have the hearse ? Because I need the "fasten seat belt" buzzer. ( the thing that buzzes for 10 sec when you starts the car )
                          Do you have it please ?

Xavier.

Comment

Yes please save some valuable parts off this car!

Comment

i have a 64 cadillac sedan deville and am looking for a motor and stuff! do u still have the motor or know anyone who can help? i am restoring the car for my son, so please help me thank yall

Comment

Working...
                              X