No announcement yet.

Left over '55 Cadillac leaf springs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left over '55 Cadillac leaf springs...

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just replaced a broken leaf spring on my '58 Caddy Superior. I used a junk yard replacement from a '55 series 62. I had to purchase the pair to get the ONE leaf I needed (the long one on top with the loops). Hence, I have quite a few unbroken leafs of varying size left over. I also have the little rectangular retainers that keep the leaves in line with one another. Anyone need a 2.5" wide leaf in a particular length? I know for sure these will fit '54-'58, possibly up to 67... Here's a comparison chart:

lightrearspring.jpg
    If you need one or more leaves, all I ask is that you pay for the shipping...

Originally posted by mikaylaela
    hey just wanna ask about the leaf spring.. how do i gonna uninstall it easily and fast? that was my problem cause i am having trouble uninstalling the leaf spring..
    Well, there really isn't an" easily and fast"... but here's the lowdown.

Jack up the car. place jack stands under the frame in front of the wheels. remove lower shock bolts/nuts. Remove 4 nuts from the 2 U-bolts. (4 per side, 8 total per car.) Remove lower shock mounting plate, U-bolts, and washers. Place jack under differential, lift differential until spring pad lifts free from the leaf spring. Remove the rear spring shackle nuts and cap. Twist, pry, and tap on the shackle until it slides out of the leaf spring bushings. Remove the pivot bolt from the forward end of the leaf spring. The spring assembly should fall right out. In order to replace a single leaf I would suggest taking it to a "spring shop". Make certain you have a good centering pin and new bushings before you put it back together. I can usually do this job in about 1.5 hours per side; out and back in.

If this all seems complicated, I might suggest taking it to a shop so that no one gets hurt. Removing aging springs, which may be under tension, from a 4 ton car improperly CAN GET YOU KILLED! Good luck!

Comment

I have a 64 that i need springs for. . how much? where are u located? e-mail me at morbid.mime@yahoo.com. . thanx

Comment

Working...
      X